Archer C2300 not broadcasting wifi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-05-16 22:39:09
Model: Archer C2300  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

My C2300 has stopped broadcasting WiFi. For a few months it has been patchy and randomly disconnecting, but lately I haven't got a signal at all. I run it as an access point since my modem/router combo isn't strong enough to send signal to the other end of my house. 

My C2300 is connected via ethernet cable to my main router. I can see that the Internet LED on the C2300 is lit, but neither of the WiFi LEDs are on - I have attempted to use the WiFi switch on the side of the router, this seems to have no effect. When I access the tp link router from my PC (which is wired into the network) it says both WiFi bands are operational and on.

Im tearing my hair out over this, I can't get WiFi signal in over half of my house where I previously had it before. 

I have had to turn on the wireless on my original router just to service one end of the house - the tp link used to cover the whole place so I turned the WiFi on my modem off, but now I have to have it on again. 

Options
7 Reply
Re:Archer C2300 not broadcasting wifi
2022-05-17 12:34:22

@Thirith 

From your description, probably your C2300 wireless radio is defective.

You may contact your local TP-Link support to be advised on this issue.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2022-05-17 19:46:38

@terziyski 

I perfromed another factory reset. The lights are on now, and it seems to be broadcasting but the service still seems to drop in and out frequently. Would you still recomend contacting TP-Link support, or do you know of any other soultions to this issue. Browsing though these forums would sugest that this is an issue encountered semi-frequently.

Options
2022-05-17 20:20:50

@Thirith

Make sure you're with the latest FW for your C2300. If you have to, search for the latest FW release for your FW region and HW version.

Here's how to determine that.

You can scan for wireless interference arround you to exclude that as a culprit.

There are tools like inSSIDer and Wi-Fi Analyzer which you can install on your phone or PC and scan the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands.

After scanning you can select least crowded wireless channels for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz and set them in your C2300 wireless settings:

For 2.4 GHz:

And for 5 GHz:

If after all these checks/changes you still have that issue you may contact the support to be advised on that.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2022-05-18 02:30:00

@terziyski 

I have renamed the 2.4ghz wifi as a Hail Mary, it seems to have changed everything. I can connect to that network in the parts of the house that previously were under serviced. 

However I was under the impression that by giving the same SSID to the various WiFi channels I could ensure a seamless experience. I also have a few smart home devices and don't want to lose control of them based on the fact that I'm on the wrong end of the house. 

Am I not able to have the same SSID across the whole house? Or is there something else I should have done/should do to ensure a single WiFi experience in my house? I don't really want a name for the modems WiFi, the Archer 2.4, and 5ghz bands. It'll play havoc with various smart systems, and be annoying for guests to have to log into multiple wifis. 

Options
2022-05-18 09:52:24

@Thirith 

Sometimes disabling Smart Connect feature improves your wireless experience like in your case.

There's nothing wrong to have two SSIDs - one for 2.4GHz band and one for 5GHz band.

What I would do is to name the 2.4GHz band as <Some_name> and the 5GHz band as <Some_name-5G>.

Bandwidth demanding devices has be connected to 5GHz band, given they are in it's range.

Smart home devices has to be connected to 2.4 GHz band since it's offer a wider wireless coverage and in most cases they support only this band.

Once you've connected to either of these bands your device will remember the password for this SSID.

So for example, if your mobile is connected to faster 5Ghz band and you move to the other end of the house, your mobile will re-connect to the 2.4 GHz band automatically when the 5GHz signal is too weak already.

Same goes for the guest network - you can decide to have two different SSIDs or the same SSID for both bands.

Options
2022-05-18 11:22:28

@terziyski 

Thank you for being so helpful this far, I really appreciate it. I was hopping I could name all my broadcasts with the same SSID since that is what I have seen recommended in various tutorials when setting up a router as an extension.

I have followed most of your steps above - I never had smart connect enabled as I figured it might interfere with what I had planned. Both my 2.4 and 5ghz tp-link broadcasts are assigned specific channels, as are the wifi broadcasts from my modem router. So now I have 4 SSIDs come up on my phone in the middle of the house, which just seems untidy to me. But if it keeps me connected, I'll put up with it.

I will wait and see over the course of the day whether or not the TP-link Wifi still disconnects.

Options
2022-05-18 12:02:11 - last edited 2022-05-18 13:30:27

@Thirith 

Test it as it is and see if the wireless connections are more stable this way.

The benefit of naming the SSIDs differently is that you'll know at any moment where a particular device is connected to.

Thus you can arrange some of your devices to connect to your modem router or the C2300 according to their position and the wireless signal strength.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 549

Replies: 7

Related Articles