Does Client mode disable wifi extender on AC750 WR902AC

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-06-16 17:03:56
Model: TL-WR902AC  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

If I specify Client mode during setup for the WR902AC Travel Router, does this, as I hope, disable the WiFi Repeater function, or does the router continue to broadcast with its own WiFi SSID? I have been disappointed to find that I cannot turn off the Extender function on an AC1750 Repeater/Bridge.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Does Client mode disable wifi extender on AC750 WR902AC
2022-06-17 05:56:49 - last edited 2022-06-17 08:00:17

@arthurb 

When in Client mode'' WR902AC can be seen as a wireless adapter which you're using to connect a wired only device to a wireless network:

So, the answer of your question is 'yes.' - here's the a guide for configuring client mode.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
Re:Does Client mode disable wifi extender on AC750 WR902AC
2022-06-18 13:06:55

@terziyski 

Thank you for the reply, although I don't think it definitively aswered the question because the documentation does not explicitly say if the WiFi broadcast function is turned off. However, you are correct in your assumption that in "Client Mode", functioning as a WiFi to Ethernet adapter, it will not be broadcasting WiFi as a repeater. This is unlike several other TP-Link devices that combine WiFi Repeater/Extender functions with that of a WiFi to Ethernet Bridge/Adapter. On those, such as the RE450 (and all others in the series) the WiFi broadcasting (i.e. the Repeater function) cannot be turned off, which can cause interference issues that can quite severely slow down the WiFi throughput. This little Travel Router does actually work purely as a WiFi to Ethernet bridge/adapter when set to Client Mode, and thus is a perfect choice if that is all you want to do and you are doing that well within the range of the main router so you need to avoid WiFi interference/contention.

This little device is providing exactly what I want: a WiFi to Ethernet Bridge with no WiFi Repeater/Extender function active. My Ethernet-only devices are now connected via this WR902AC to the home wifi network with no unnecessary wifi signals causing trouble. I have read one or two reports of failure after a few months of constant 24/7 use, and it does get rather warm, a bit more than I think it should, so I will watch out for any issues (this one can be switched off from time to time but I need a second one which will not be - we will see). At the moment I am very happy.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 630

Replies: 2

Related Articles