Deco M4 Wifi Stutters But Speed is Fast

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-26 16:28:39 - last edited 2022-09-27 05:54:44
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.6.0

Hello,

I've recently installed two Deco M4 ontop of my Archer C6 router through a LAN cable, the firmware are the latest.

Everything seems to be working just fine, the speed and the coverage is good, however, the internet seems to be "stuttering".

For Example, when I enter a website, it takes a while for the internet to resolve the hostname and get a response, same for other services. Once it is loaded, the website is fast again.

Another Example is let's say when you watch a  youtube video, the video buffers for a long time at the beginning, 3-5 seconds and then afterwards, the rest of the video loads super fast as expected. It's the beginning that's taking a long time to load, same for every other services.

I tried connecting back to the Archer C6 wifi and the website loading was instantaneous, it didn't need to "wait" or "buffer" for 3-5 seconds before the website loads, everything loaded in an instant.

The internet also sometimes "pauses" for a few second at times and resumes. It only happens on the mesh network.

Any solution or ideas to solve this would be much appreciated, thank you!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco M4 Wifi Stutters But Speed is Fast-Solution
2022-09-27 05:54:38 - last edited 2022-09-27 05:54:44

@Alexandre. 

Hello, thank you for the reply!

I have found the solution to the problem, it had something to do with ipv6 or what not.

I played around with the settings and have found out it had something to do with ipv6 while it is on, when the ipv6 is off, the internet is as instantaneous as our Archer C6, but weirdly when it is on, it gets stuck and have trouble resolving hostnames, etc.

One solution is to turn off ipv6 and only rely on ipv4, however I came across another solution, which is to switch from Router Mode to Access Point Mode (AP Mode), which easily solved all the problem, and I get to keep ipv6 addresses (However many settings were disabled in AP mode but we didn't need it anyways).

Hope this can help anyone who came across this trouble!

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco M4 Wifi Stutters But Speed is Fast
2022-09-26 17:50:45 - last edited 2022-09-26 17:51:10

@PotatoWiz 

Let's start with basic analysis.

1. Have you connected both Deco M4 with Ethernet cable to the Archer C6 router? I mean, each of them connected to Archer, right? This is how I read your post.

2. Open Deco app, in Deco app find Satellite Deco, check what it says under Signal Source. Example:

or it may be like this:

What your says and if it is not "Ethernet", how many bars it shows. Must be at least two for a good connection.

3. Your Deco mesh runs in its default Router mode, correct? This is Operation Mode setting under More/Advanced in Deco app.

Options
Re:Deco M4 Wifi Stutters But Speed is Fast-Solution
2022-09-27 05:54:38 - last edited 2022-09-27 05:54:44

@Alexandre. 

Hello, thank you for the reply!

I have found the solution to the problem, it had something to do with ipv6 or what not.

I played around with the settings and have found out it had something to do with ipv6 while it is on, when the ipv6 is off, the internet is as instantaneous as our Archer C6, but weirdly when it is on, it gets stuck and have trouble resolving hostnames, etc.

One solution is to turn off ipv6 and only rely on ipv4, however I came across another solution, which is to switch from Router Mode to Access Point Mode (AP Mode), which easily solved all the problem, and I get to keep ipv6 addresses (However many settings were disabled in AP mode but we didn't need it anyways).

Hope this can help anyone who came across this trouble!

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 906

Replies: 2

Related Articles