Deco X50 -> Ping loss, timed out and extreme lag spikes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-03 14:08:45
Model: Deco X50  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: Latest (cant check since its just loading the info)

Deco is upgraded to latest firmware version. 

Both 2.4 and 5g are enabled with mesh support. I was trying to turn off mesh, but nothing changed, it even throws errors when toggle switch this function. The UX of deco app or localhost access is really bad, always some lag, errors,... and on deco wifi, like i was connected from the moon :/.

The internet drops, it's basically useless since I use vpn, ssh connection, and always receiving server timout and need to reconnect. If I'm directly connected to Lan everything works great, but on deco wifi it's useless. Other connected devices have the same problem (smart tv(netflix buffering), youtube,...). The application is useless too, it's saying that error occured,

What can I can to fix this ??? I'm really disapointed in the product, for 400€.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Deco X50 -> Ping loss, timed out and extreme lag spikes
2022-10-03 15:22:16 - last edited 2022-10-03 15:23:07

@Robit_007 

You quote price for your Deco in Euros, but you are pinging IP address from California. If you are pinging US IP address from Europe, consider pinging different IP address that is geographically close to you.

Also, it would help if you can share network diagram of what you have, including how many X50s and how they are connected to each other. Also, do you ping IP address from mobile device wirelessly connected to Satellite Deco or to Main Deco?

Please also tell what type of Internet connection you have, its speed and if you are using ISP modem or ISP router (gateway). Including ISP modem/router brand name and model number.

-----

Just a thought: if you force Deco app on smartphone go through VPN to overseas VPN server, that would explain poor Deco app performance. 

Options
2022-10-03 18:20:11

@Alexandre. 

Below picture is directly from switch over the cable. There is 0 problem directly with utp connected, the connection is stable as is should.

Laptop is connected to deco #1(main). The deco is about 10m away from the laptop, just a corner with wood doors. 

Schema

Modem -> 16 port tp-link switch(btw, works perfectly) -> deco x50 3pack in every floor (3 floors).

Equipment
Modem : EVW32C-0N (Cable internet, speed D:1Gbps, U:100Mbps | usualy works around 800/130)

Switch: TP-LINK TL-SG1016D

Router: TP-LINK Deco x50 3 pack

VPN

It's not overseas, it's local country.

Options
2022-10-03 18:31:56 - last edited 2022-10-03 18:50:32

@Alexandre. 

always something, accessing over deco app is extremly slow, as directly from browser, the access to satelites are faster. 

"Admin" site takes crazy long time, sometimes timeout, sometimes some error in the footer bar... Satelites are responsing good if i connect direct to their ip's, but somehow refuses the password, don't know why. Isn't the password the same for all of them ?

Something strange, CPU is 99-100%, Ram usage 80%, why is that so high ?

Options
2022-10-03 19:46:32

@Robit_007 

In this situation the first steps will be to stabilize your Deco mesh. If that can't be done, you could just pack Deco hardware and send it back. 

-----

With that in mind:

1. EVW32C-0N is cable gateway, as far as I can tell. It has four Ethernet ports at the back, correct? If true, please keep it in gateway mode. In case you switched EVW32C-0N to bridge mode, change it back to its default gateway mode.

2. Power off all Satellite Deco nodes. The objective is to change Deco mesh configuration, and Satellites won't needed for that as long as Main Deco is up.

3. Everything with Deco mesh management is done through Deco app. If app won't work, there is not much that can be done. After you powered off Satellite Decos, bring smartphone with Deco app close to Main Deco and see if Deco app works now.

Deco app does not communicate directly with Main Deco, but through the TP-Link cloud. You can turn off WiFi on smartphone and try Deco app through cellular data. That might do the trick.

4. If you got Deco app working, change Deco mesh mode to Access Point. This should drop CPU and memory utilization on Main Deco substantially. See How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode

5. After you managed to change the Operating Mode setting in Deco app, if Main Deco still not stable - power Main Deco off and then, after 2-3 minutes, power it back on.

Options
2023-03-20 18:44:29

@Robit_007 I am still seeing these issues. Did you ever come across any solutions?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2285

Replies: 5

Related Articles