"403 Forbidden" error when accessing router management site over VPN tunnel

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-19 16:45:14
Tags: #Remote Management #router management
Model: TL-MR6400  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 1.16.0 0.9.1 v0001.0 Build 191223 Rel.66638n

Hi, 

I'm using the MR6400, and would like to access the (Local) management site over OpenVPN.

I can set up the tunnel towards the MR6400 over OpenVPN and can access the local LAN and the attached devices.

I can also access the management site from remote (once enabled).

Unfortunately I can't access the (Local) management site via the tunnel, which would be my preferred option,
because I just get "403 Forbidden".  

Is there any fix for this problem?

BR Andreas

Options
3 Reply
Re:"403 Forbidden" error when accessing router management site over VPN tunnel
2023-04-20 01:31:01

@andi0676 

Hi, for security consideration, the router local management over VPN tunnel is not allowed on our LTE Gateway routers, that is why it displays 403 Forbidden, if necessary, it is recommended to enable remote management.

And we will also record and report to product team to see if this restriction can be removed in the future.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2023-04-20 12:07:42

Hi @Sunshine 

thank you for the quick reply. Actually, I don't understand the security issue here?

Actually isn't the OpenVPN Server deliberately there to allow access into the home Network?

I sounds a bit odd, being able to access my whole LAN, while just excluding the router manangement?

Because I deliberately do want to avoid, a potentially even more unsave enabling of the "remote router Management",
I want to go via the VPN!

Usually the "403 Forbidden" is originated by wrong access right settings on files or issues with .htaccess in the Web Sever.

It would be really nice if you could forward this to your develpment team, to consider a fix of this in an update?

BR

Andreas

Options
2023-04-23 08:35:53 - last edited 2023-04-23 08:36:04

@andi0676 

Hi, I have already forwarded your suggestion to senior engineer for evaluation. Thanks a lot for the feedback.

For now, it is still recommended to enable remote management, and to make it more secure, you could also choose "Only the Following IP/MAC Address" as Client Device Allowed for Remote Management.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options