Failure to make RE450 work

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-17 19:01:41
Model: RE450  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

No idea about hardwares and firmwares, or even where to find such things. All I know is that I follow the instructions to the letter, the app tells me that it's applying my settings, it gets to 100% but doesn't connect to the router.  It says "connection lost", although it appears that connection was never found. I mean, the thing is virtually sitting on top of the router! Then it tells me "internet may not be available", when it very clearly is, otherwise I wouldn't be typing this. So, what's going on here?

Why on earth can't these people make something that works out of the box, and that doesn't require a degree in computer science to set up?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Failure to make RE450 work
2023-05-18 03:53:45

@teemacs 

Hi, for your case, here are some suggestions. 
1. Please check whether Wireless password of your router you entered is correct or not? Please go to Settings--WiFi on your phone to forget the router WiFi, then reconnect it using the same Wi-Fi password to see if it works. 
2. Please reset the extender into default settings again by holding the reset button until all lights flashing once, then refer to this instruction to configure your range extender again carefully:

Via Tether App: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1373/
Via Web interface: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1400/

Note: During the configuration, please make sure that the extender is close to your router and be careful when you enter router's wireless password.  

If it still doesn't connect, please check if there is any special settings on your main router, like access control etc. which will block the extender.

If no such special settings, please let us know the following information:

1) the LED status of your range extender
2) distance between range extender and your router
3) Hardware version of your extender which can be found on the label of the extender itself, such as V1, V2 etc.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2023-05-18 15:53:42 - last edited 2023-05-18 15:56:20

Hello, thank you for this, but nothing works - see my answers below your various points:

1. Please check whether Wireless password of your router you entered is correct or not? Please go to Settings--WiFi on your phone to forget the router WiFi, then reconnect it using the same Wi-Fi password to see if it works.

- Wirelesss password is correct, has always been correct

2. Please reset the extender into default settings again by holding the reset button until all lights flashing once, then refer to this instruction to configure your range extender again carefully:

Via Tether App: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1373/

- RE450 doesn’t show up on phone

Via Web interface: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1400/

- Computer doesn’t have wi-fi, ethernet cable only, so unplugging the ethernet cable means no internet!

1) the LED status of your range extender

- one blue light

2) distance between range extender and your router

- about 60cm

3) Hardware version of your extender which can be found on the label of the extender itself, such as V1, V2 etc.

- V4.0 apparently

Options
2023-05-19 02:26:53

@teemacs 

Hi, if only one blue light on, I guess it is power LED only, 2.4G, 5G and signal LEDs off means the extender is not connected to any host network yet.

Please note that configuring the extender doesn't require internet access on the computer or phone, but you have to connect to the extender first.

For the method of using Tether App, please turn off mobile data of your phone, connect the phone only to the default TP-Link WiFi of the extender, if you don't see the default extender WiFi, please reset the extender to factory defaults again.

For the method of using web interface, please connect your computer to the extender via Ethernet cable, then try to login the extender web interface via tplinkrepeater.net or 192.168.0.254, if it doesn't work, you could also try the factory reset.

If there is still any problem, it is recommended to call our hotline support so that our agents could walk you through the steps. You could check the contact information of local technical support based on your region on the following website:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/contact-technical-support/#Hotline-Support

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2023-05-19 08:11:23

@sunshine Thank you! I'll try again over the weekend. It seems that the Tether app really doesn't work with the RE450 (at least my RE450), so I'll try the work laptop, which does have wifi.

Options