Force x50 to mesh wirelessly instead of ethernet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-21 14:38:28 - last edited 2023-05-22 11:35:45
Model: Deco X50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.1 Build 20221103

Hi, I have a mix of 2 Deco X50 and 4 Powerline adapters. My problem is that I want the Deco units to mesh wirelessly instead of using the Powerline adapters. The network speed is much faster wirelessly. 

Map - 

MODEM - PL1 - PL2 - X50 - - X50 - PL3 - PL4 - PC

So the X50s are currently making an ethernet connection using PL2 to PL3

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Force x50 to mesh wirelessly instead of ethernet -Solution
2023-05-21 21:15:16 - last edited 2023-05-22 11:35:45

@sastek 

You can't do that on Deco side, because Deco will prefer Ethernet backhaul to WiFi backhaul and there is no configuration option to override that.

You may be able to do that on powerline side, depending on powerline adapters brand and capabilities. You will need to create powerline private network for adapters PL3 and PL4. After you configured powerline private network for these two adapters, PL3 will stop talking to PL2 (not member of private network), and Satellite X50 will be forced to use WiFi backhaul.

You will need to check your powerline adapters documentation for how to do that, but here is example from TP-Link for their powerline adapters: How to configure TP-Link Powerline utility to secure my power line network

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Force x50 to mesh wirelessly instead of ethernet -Solution
2023-05-21 21:15:16 - last edited 2023-05-22 11:35:45

@sastek 

You can't do that on Deco side, because Deco will prefer Ethernet backhaul to WiFi backhaul and there is no configuration option to override that.

You may be able to do that on powerline side, depending on powerline adapters brand and capabilities. You will need to create powerline private network for adapters PL3 and PL4. After you configured powerline private network for these two adapters, PL3 will stop talking to PL2 (not member of private network), and Satellite X50 will be forced to use WiFi backhaul.

You will need to check your powerline adapters documentation for how to do that, but here is example from TP-Link for their powerline adapters: How to configure TP-Link Powerline utility to secure my power line network

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Force x50 to mesh wirelessly instead of ethernet
2023-05-21 21:58:30

Thank you. They are tp-link PL adapters so that solution should work. 

Longer term, I'll probably replace 2 adapters with another X50 next time they're on sale. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 506

Replies: 2

Related Articles