Extending deco s4 mesh to garden

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-02 11:17:30

Looking for some advice on how to extend my s4 mesh network to the back of my garden where my patio and gazebo are. I have some smart lights at the back of the garden that keep going offline. I currently have full signal in living room and office, and 2 bars in kitchen. 

If I simply add another deco or two in the garage/garden, will they have a good enough signal or will the signal get weaker the further away they are from the main deco? 

Are there any other solutions?

Many thanks.

Options
7 Reply
Re:Extending deco s4 mesh to garden
2023-06-04 02:18:08

Anyone?

Options
2023-06-04 11:42:33

@Eddy2007 

The answer to "if I add another deco or two in the garage/garden, will they have a good enough signal": it depends.

If you have three Deco units at your house, you can test that before buying more Decos. I can give you recommendations how to run the test, but I'll need to know from you if Kitchen Deco is closest to Garage, if that Deco is connected to Main Deco and what is its Signal quality.

It would help if you could share Show Map and Show List screenshots from your Deco app, example:

Options
2023-06-04 13:42:00

@Alexandre. 

thanks for getting back to me on this. Kitchen deco is closest to garage & garden and appears to be connected to main deco with ok signal (2 bars). I guess I could take the office deco and try it in the garage?

hopefully you can see the screenshots?

Thanks.

Options
2023-06-04 13:51:24 - last edited 2023-06-04 13:57:32

@Eddy2007 

I can see the screenshot, thanks.

Yes, that would be the test: take Office Deco and place it in garage. When you power it off, wait till it shows as offline in Deco app. After you power Office Deco back on in garage, see in Deco app where it will connect: to Kitchen Deco or to Main Deco, and with what signal strength.

Ideally, it should connect to Kitchen Deco. 

Then, you can see if signal strength is good and what WiFi speeds you are getting in garage. You can also walk to patio/gazebo and check if WiFi signal from Garage Deco reaches patio. If it does, you have an option to place another Deco in patio, or if WiFi speeds are good already - just leave it as is to get WiFi connection from Garage Deco.

This will help you to figure how many more Deco you'll need: one (Garage) or two (Garage + Patio).

In case Garage Deco can't reach Kitchen/Main, or signal strength of their connection is poor, there may be other options to discuss.

In case Patio doesn't get any WiFi signal from Garage Deco, placing another Deco in patio is not going to change that. You'll need to investigate different options for patio WiFi coverage.

Options
2023-06-07 19:13:50

@Alexandre. 

So I've moved the 'Office' deco to the garage and have renamed it 'Garage'. I did this yesterday and had 2 green bars showing good signal. Today I have one yellow bar (weak signal), however the garden lights at the back of the garden seem to stay connected and still working. Is this the correct setup or is the 'Garage' deco meant to connect to the 'Kitchen' which has a stronger signal? Shall I keep it like this or any other suggestions? Thanks.

Options
2023-06-07 19:59:29

@Eddy2007 

Short answer: as long as it works, no need to try anything else.

Longer answer:

With Deco mesh, Satellite Deco decide on their own how to connect and, in most cases, they prefer connection to Main Deco. With some other Deco models this preference can be overwritten, but not with S4.

As long as you have decent WiFi signal and WiFi speed where you need it, you can just let it be. If signal between Garage Deco and Main Deco drops even more, Garage Deco will connect to Kitchen Deco on its own.

You can try to facilitate that connection by moving Garage Deco a bit further away from the house, perhaps as close to the farthest wall of garage as you can. With a bit of luck, Garage Deco may give up on trying to connect to Main Deco and will choose Kitchen Deco instead.

Options
2023-06-07 20:21:04

@Alexandre. 

Many thanks for your help. I think I'll leave it as is for now then. Its gone green again with 2 bars so must be ok signal. Will try the other approach if it gets worse. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 504

Replies: 7

Related Articles