Way to block an IP for only specific devices?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-13 10:43:03
Model: Archer AXE95  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

So I am using a pihole in my network to route DNS traffic and monitor what my devices are doing, especially those I have no control over. I noticed some, such as my Fire Tablet, hardcode 8.8.8.8 into their DNS so even if I change to my pihole it still leaves it open (likely to serve ads). One way I get around this is in the Adv Routing table I simply blocked 8.8.8.8 (Google's DNS). Works great however Im realizing one of my devices must use it to communicate and work (MyQ garage opener).

Anyway to leave it open for just this one devices but keep it blocked for all others? 

Options
4 Reply
Re:Way to block an IP for only specific devices?
2023-06-14 06:21:47 - last edited 2023-06-14 06:22:25

@Roachforlife 

Hello, may I know where you blocked the 8.8.8.8? May I have a screenshot of the settings?

In addition, are your client devices using DHCP to obtain IP address and DNS server automatically? Did you configure your own DNS on Advanced->Network->DHCP Server page?

And what is the hardware and firmware version of your Archer AXE95?

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2023-06-14 11:56:41

@Sunshine Hello. I blocked by going to Advanced > Routing and adding an entry with dest IP of 8.8.8.8 and gateway of my TPLinks IP. This seemed to work as when I try to ping 8.8.8.8 from my PC I get host unreachable

Yes I am using DHCP on the TPLink, with address reservation for as many as I can (hit the 64 device limit sadly).

The DNS is separate (pihole) and I have set the DNS Server IP to point to my Pihole

Firmware Version:

1.1.1 Build 20230310 rel.39593(5553)

Hardware Version:

Archer AXE95 v1.0

Options
2023-06-14 12:01:22 - last edited 2023-06-14 12:02:51

@Sunshine I know this is a consumer router but I have also been reading about DNS Redirect options in things like DDWRT (as an example) where you can tell the router to route ALL DNS to a specific IP on the network (may be called Intercept DNS port). Perhaps this specifically would be a feature request but curious if this is hidden somewhere in the system I am not aware of

Options
2023-06-15 06:10:31

@Roachforlife 

Hi, thank you for the reply.

Upon further checking, I am afraid the Archer AXE95 cannot block 8.8.8.8 for specific client devices only and no DNS Redirect options, we will record this feature request and pass it along to the team.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options