Controlling bandwidth on MR600

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-18 12:00:27
Model: Archer MR600  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

I have an MR600 to provide internet in my house in France as the landline connection is very poor. With an external aerial this is giving me download speeds of 60Mbs+ which is great. However French data packages have monthly limits and even with the biggest package I can buy (250Gb per month) we are eating through the data very quickly. The problem is that most streaming services seem to automatically dowload HD if there is enough bandwidth. This consumes something like 4Gb an hour which is why we are using so much data. Given that all the screens are small we don't need the high resolution and SD is fine. I can see that I can control the bandwidth of individual devices by using the QoS but we have lots of people coming and going with their own devices so I can't keep adding them. 

Can I set a global QoS for all devices and limit individuals to say 3Mbs? That way the streaming services will default to a medium resolution which should ony use 1Gb an hour.

I can see that there is a global bandwidth control on some tp-link routers that will manage a range of IPs but I can't ee the same funtion on the MR600

Options
1 Reply
Re:Controlling bandwidth on MR600
2023-08-22 08:59:45 - last edited 2023-08-22 09:01:18

@TimGUK 

Hi, MR600 doesn't support bandwidth control, to limit the data usage, you could consider using the data usage limit feature to limit the monthly or total data usage, however, it will not limit the speed when there is still data left.

How to monitor data usage of TP-Link Wireless Dual Band 4G LTE Router

By the way, you mentioned that you are using external aerial which is giving download speeds of 60Mbs+, how about using the original antennas? if the speed is slower but still acceptable, maybe that could reduce the data usage as well?

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 627

Replies: 1

Related Articles