OpenVPN and security

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

OpenVPN and security

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
OpenVPN and security
OpenVPN and security
2023-08-19 16:55:24 - last edited 2023-08-19 17:10:55
Tags: #openvpn
Model: Archer C6  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.15 Build 20220923 rel.62166(4555)

Hi

I configured the OpenVPN settings (generated the certificate, exported the file).

On the PC-client, I installed the OpenVPN client and connected the configuration file - works.

But I wonder how safe it is. Anything else I should set? I would like to limit the hosts that can connect via VPN for specific IP addresses. Can I set it?
I would also prefer to set a user with a password so that in the event of a host compromise, only this one user will be blocked, not all. But I don't see that option (username and password is only for PPTP VPN).

In many guides I see that the configuration file is saved in: \Program Files\OpenVPN\config - I didn't find it there. Edit: I found it here: C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\OpenVPN Connect\profiles\*.ovpn - plain text - after hacking a computer, you just need to copy the file. Without a username and password, it will just put the file under its client and establish a VPN connection. Do I think right?

I can see the private key in the exported configuration file. Does it really have to be there? I thought private keys should stay on the server and only public keys should be released into the world.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 309

Replies: 0

Tags

openvpn
Related Articles