Decos in access point mode with wired backhaul, why is there a main deco?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-28 11:40:20 - last edited 2023-08-29 08:17:34
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have set up 3 Deco X20s in access point mode all with wired backhaul to a TP link switch. Everything is working well and I'm getting download speeds of 800 mbs with a gigabit fiber connection.

One thing that is confusing however is the network map visual in the app. It shows that the Deco I set up first, the "main" Deco, is connected to the interenet and then the other two Decos are connected via ethernet to the main Deco. 

However, I connected all three to the same switch, and that switch is connected to the router. So the map really should look like this:

(obviously between my switch and internet I have my router)

So have I set it up wrong, or is it just the way the Deco app shows the setup? And why is there a "main Deco" when all of them should be independent access points?

Thanks.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Decos in access point mode with wired backhaul, why is there a main deco?-Solution
2023-08-28 14:00:08 - last edited 2023-08-29 08:17:34

@r777 

Deco mesh will need Main Deco in Access Point mode. There is still WiFi mesh management and reporting that Main Deco does. In Access Point mode, all Deco nodes are equal, but one of them is more equal than others. :)

The important thing is: with your setup, Internet traffic from Satellite Deco does not go through Main Deco. Satellite Deco will send Internet traffic directly to router, through switch. Think of this link from Satellite Deco to Main Deco as just "management" connection: for example, Satellite Deco will need to report number of devices connected to it to Main Deco. 

You can also try that, just for test: take one of Satellite Deco and wire it to another Satellite Deco, not to switch. You should expect to see different network map: daisy chain.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Decos in access point mode with wired backhaul, why is there a main deco?-Solution
2023-08-28 14:00:08 - last edited 2023-08-29 08:17:34

@r777 

Deco mesh will need Main Deco in Access Point mode. There is still WiFi mesh management and reporting that Main Deco does. In Access Point mode, all Deco nodes are equal, but one of them is more equal than others. :)

The important thing is: with your setup, Internet traffic from Satellite Deco does not go through Main Deco. Satellite Deco will send Internet traffic directly to router, through switch. Think of this link from Satellite Deco to Main Deco as just "management" connection: for example, Satellite Deco will need to report number of devices connected to it to Main Deco. 

You can also try that, just for test: take one of Satellite Deco and wire it to another Satellite Deco, not to switch. You should expect to see different network map: daisy chain.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Decos in access point mode with wired backhaul, why is there a main deco?
2023-08-28 15:03:36

@Alexandre. Thanks, that makes sense. As long as the traffic from the satellite Decos isn't going through the main Deco that's fine. It would be nice if TP Link were to update the visual so it's more clear what's going on. 

As I understand from your post when doing wireless backhaul, wiring all of them to the switch is still better than only wiring one to the switch and then daisy chaining the others? I'm asking as I am looking to install a few more Decos and could either daisy chain from the existing Decos, or wire them all back to the main switch.

Options
2023-08-28 15:31:59

@r777 

My preference would be to wire all Satellite Deco to the switch. Also, to the router: you know you have that option, right? If you have available Ethernet ports on router, you can use them for Deco, too. 

Daisy chain should also work, but that would be my option only if I can't wire Deco to either switch or to router. 

Options
2023-08-28 15:34:55

@Alexandre. Yes, I bought a PoE switch as I'm planning on using some PoE devices and the X50 PoE for places without outlets. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1302

Replies: 4

Related Articles