Best way to extend network?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2024-01-11 22:12:24 - last edited 2024-01-11 22:13:54
Model: Archer AX1800  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Hi All,

The layout is:

• garage downstairs.

• upper floor i have bedroom 1 above garage.

• living area between the 2 bedrooms.

• bedroom 2 on the other side of living room to bedroom 1.

My current network set up:

• Downstairs in garage I have a AX1800 (Archer AX20) hardware version 2.0 https://www.tp-link.com/au/home-networking/wifi-router/archer-ax20/v2/

• Upstairs almost directly above the router in bedroom I have a RE705X mesh device https://www.tp-link.com/au/home-networking/range-extender/re705x/

• the network adaptors show up as "intel WiFi 6E AX210 160MHz".

The layout for fixed clients:

• PC in bedroom 1 on WiFi.

• media PC in living room on WiFi.

• second PC in bedroom 2 on WiFi.

the problems I'm trying to address:

• the internet is gigabit FTTP but PC in bedroom 1 only achieves about 250mbit over WiFi (highest priority).

• media PC in living room is struggling the most with speeds and connectivity (secondary priority).

• PC in bedroom 2 connectivity seems fine.

The main solutions I'm looking at are:

• Get higher end model router and or mesh access point.

• benefit would be it could improve speeds of both the PC in bed 1 and fix issues with living room PC.

• downside is high cost and might not improve speeds much/at all.

• Second option is EoP adaptors like this one https://www.tp-link.com/au/home-networking/powerline/tl-pa9020p-kit/

• benefit is it costs less than a new router and AP and should give the PC in bedroom 1 close to gigabit speeds.

• Downside is it's still costly and only fixes 1 problem.

• A question I have is from the TP link product page it sounds like these are designed to run in pairs and requires you to hit the sync button on both which makes it sound like you can't add additional client adaptors? I haven't seen additional client adaptors for sale either. Ideally I'd like to have a primary adaptor downstairs in the garage synced with 3 client adaptors upstairs if this is possible.

• 3rd Option is get the EoP adapters but run the connection to the RE705X in AP mode to bypass the signal degradation caused by the floor.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Best way to extend network?
2024-01-12 10:04:58

@Dachhase 

You should bear in mind that ethernet backhaul is always better that a wireless backhaul in terms of bandwidth/speed and stability.

You can add an additional PLC to an existing powerline network - here's how.

I would suggest to use HomePlug AV2 standard PLCs for building your network - " the HomePlug AV2 standard introduces new technology and features, allowing Powerline adapters to communicate as long as they are on the same main circuit (panel) ".

If you want to know more about PLCs there's a thread with FAQs - here.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 309

Replies: 1

Related Articles