How to configure Deco without mobile data and no pre-existing Wifi ?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2024-01-18 08:31:51 - last edited 2024-01-18 08:32:56
Model: Deco XE75  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello

I need to configure a DECO XE75 setup at a place where there is only one cable modem without Wi-Fi and zero mobile network coverage.

I am stuck at the configuration as the setup asks me for my TPLink account, but as there is no mobile data and no wifi, it cannot go trough.

How do we configure the boxes in this case ?

Best regards

Options
4 Reply
Re:How to configure Deco without mobile data and no pre-existing Wifi ?
2024-01-18 12:47:19

@Netswitch 

You can configure them at some other place that has mobile data coverage and then bring to that location. Of course, that "other place" must support same Main Deco connectivity configuration options.

If you plan to run Deco mesh in Router mode with "Dynamic IP" connection setting, you can configure Deco mesh at that "other place" with Main Deco connected to any standard router.

You can do the same if you plan to run Deco mesh in Access Point mode.

Options
2024-01-18 12:54:37

@Alexandre. Thank you for your feedback, your solution would certainly work but I am 2 hours drive from a place with connectivity...   this is not the most practical way of doing things and seems crazy to me.
I managed to do the setup with a Mikrotik router that was in the trunk of the car that I configured as a wifi access point during the setup but I am still baffled that "another wireless internet connectivity" is mandatory to deploy the devices.

Having interfaces and install process that are foolproof is interesting but having some more "advanced" options and possibilites in the interface would be nice too for more specific use cases.    

Options
2024-01-18 13:05:32 - last edited 2024-01-18 13:12:01

@Netswitch 

Glad to hear you have figured the solution.

When you saw that Deco mesh can only be configured through Deco app on smartphone, with all mesh info passed between Deco mesh and Deco app through TP-Link cloud, what have you thought about Deco mesh target audience?

For me, that was obvious: this is consumer grade WiFi mesh system targeting home user with little technical skills and under most common scenario.

This is what you've got. If you want something more professional oriented, where you can apply your skills and tune it to your liking, which has robust Web management interface and does not require third party cloud for WiFi mesh management and reporting, you should look for a different brand of WiFi mesh.

If you do that for a business or security oriented person, make sure your client is aware that Deco mesh shares their WiFi network info with third-party cloud outside of client control.

Options
2024-01-18 14:44:30

@Alexandre. Honestly I was looking for a "fire and forget" solution, I am fine with something without lots of fine tuning but being able to install it without other wireless public internet seems like a reasonable expectation.

Options