Cabled download speed from node very low

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2024-02-13 16:59:46
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.1.5 Build 20231026 Rel. 62511

I've done extensive testing on my problem with slow download speeds but I'm at a loss.

Even when the nodes are practically right next to each other, only upload speed sees an improvement.

In the picture I get 100mbit down and over 700 up. When I connect to ISP provided router I get 650/900. Officially it's an 1000/1000 fiber line.

If the bandwith for 700mbit upload is there, why can't I get similair results for download?

The computer is cabled to the node, and as you can see the main deco node is in the other end of the couch.

Options
8 Reply
Re:Cabled download speed from node very low
2024-02-13 18:50:40 - last edited 2024-02-13 18:51:24

@Huleboer 

This is what I would recommend:

1. Keep both Deco units wired to each other for testing, but switch Deco mesh to Access Point mode. In AP mode, Deco units are just pass-through for Ethernet traffic. Switching a Deco to Access Point (AP) Mode

2. Check if maybe you have VPN enabled on PC. VPN is known to trigger asymmetrical speeds in speed testing.

----------

If that does not fix the issue, focus on ISP Internet link instead. Call their support and press on asymmetrical speed. Do not tell them you get slower than expected speeds on ISP router - that'll be dismissed with "gigabit is the best effort, 900Mbps is good enough." Don't tell them about Deco - connect PC to ISP router directly and provide them with those speed test results.

Keep pressing ISP tech support on why speed test gives dramatically asymmetrical result - and demand answer. First level support won't be able to explain or dismiss that, so you may get escalated to competent tech person who will figure what is going on. If they fix their asymmetrical issue, that might also fix what you see with Deco mesh.

Options
2024-02-13 19:07:46
Thanks for responding. Changing to AP mode doesn't change the results when running the nodes normally. Using a cable between the nodes eliminates the problem, but I can't use that method in real world usage. If I could I wouldn't have need for a mesh network. No vpn on either laptop or desktop
Options
2024-02-13 19:15:59 - last edited 2024-02-13 19:16:29

@Huleboer 

When Satellite Deco is on WiFi backhaul, can you make screenshot from its info page in Deco app and share here. With Satellite and Main Deco next to each other.

Example:

Options
2024-02-13 20:27:50

@Alexandre. Roger!

1st picture is the one on the couch next to main deco. No cable between them.

2nd picture is the node in my office about 14 meters and 2 walls away.

Stærk = Strong

Couch node

Office node

Options
2024-02-13 20:29:31
On the office node I get 90/500mbit with a cable between node and desktop.
Options
2024-02-13 20:34:43

@Huleboer 

I am also now at loss.

Both bands are used for WiFi backhaul between Satellite and Main Deco. Signal is strong. Deco runs in AP mode, which eliminates all bandwidth/content throttling and management. No VPN on PC.

For what it worth, you should be getting symmetrical speeds. How high these speeds will be that depends, but asymmetrical I can't explain. Especially asymmetrical with upload way faster than download. 

Options
2024-02-13 20:55:00
Thanks for trying.
Options
2024-02-14 14:51:15

UPDATE!

Today I gave up and returned the Deco x20 kit. 
I thought it might be related to a lack of tri band options, so I decided to buy a Deco Xe65 duo kit instead, even though it was almost twice the price, hoping the 6Ghz backhaul channel would solve my issues. 

First test on the couch revealed that the new kit could provide 300/800 so while there was a definite improvement it still wasn't really what I expected to get.

In any case I didn't really want to do too much about it and thought I'd have to be able to live with that speed.

Then a breakthrough!!

I've always used the same speed test provided by a danish ISP because I've had reliable results with that in the past. 
By chance I tried to go to the souce Ookla speedtest and this happened:

I then tried several other speed tests and found wildly different results.

It still really doesn't make sense, as my speed with the deco x20 felt horrible slow while I was downloading, but it would seem that my problem might not be entirely local. Why would an external speed test slow down because you use a mesh network and not when cabled?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 521

Replies: 8

Related Articles