Deco Network suboptimal Slow/Unstable

2024-03-24 11:26:01 - last edited 2024-03-24 11:29:35
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.11

Hallo

During the corana period, with 4 people working from home in the same apartment we ran into problems with our Wifi, it was getting slow. And in some rooms the connection was very bad. We live in an apartment 160 m2 with a lot of concrete. I first tried a cheaper Mesh system but that did not work. Finally I purchased two M9 plus hubs, and that did the trick. The head in our small office and the satellite close to the bedrooms did the trick.

Enter 2024, our Internet provider no longer supports ADSL (did the trick for us), so we needed to upgrade to a fiber network. The new modem has changed location due to cable management and acces to the apartment. We could no longer place the head Deco in a central location and the link with the satellite became quite poor. So same problem again as 4 years ago. The fiber connection is fast at least 300 Mbps down and uploading speed. I tried skipping the Deco all together but that did not solve the problem. Great connection in the main room, but nothing in the bedrooms (where some of the home offices are located).

So I bought a third M9 plus, and I placed it back at the original location (as a salellite), in the hope that the satellite at the far end would get a better signal. First that did not work since the deco's arranged themselves in a star configuration. Then I learned that I can force the connections between Deco's. That gave me the shedule as below.

"Woonkamer" is the main deco and is actually located at the entry of the apartment, I had to place it in a vertical position and it is placed close to a wall, its a bit boxed in but I can't improve that

"Kantoor" is the old location of the main hub. Properly placed horizontally with could 360 acces.

"Gang" is the satellite further away, with many doors and walls in between.

The results are very mediocre to say the least. The speed I get via the Mesh on my imac on a central location is 55 Mbps down and 22 Mbps  up. A very modest result given the original signal, its far worst in the other area's of the apartment. Worst then before with the 2 Deco set-up. Also What I noticed while we are closed to the satellite Kantoor, it still connects to woonkamer. I actually have no connections to woonkamer. ON gang we have connections but as I said not very good.

So my questions are 

1 One why is my Deco wifi amlost 10 times lower then the original signal

2 Any advice on the set-up to improve the wifi in the whole appartment?

BR

Samuel

Options
21 Reply
Re:Deco Network suboptimal Slow/Unstable
2024-03-24 11:51:17

@SamuelB1002 

Please make screenshot of Update Deco page in Deco app and post it here. This will tell me firmware versions of all of your Deco nodes.

Example:

Also, run Test Internet Speed from Deco app (large button on top left corner of Network page) and also post its result here, ideally scroll down to History section of that page and post it in that screenshot, with multiple speed test results.

Options
2024-03-24 13:16:53

@Alexandre. 

I got this

Kantoor seems to be on another firmware while, the update menu states all is up to date. Strange

Options
2024-03-24 14:00:07 - last edited 2024-03-24 14:17:26

@SamuelB1002 

Kantoor Deco node firmware is very old, so old it can't be updated through Deco app. It must be updated manually. Follow Method 3 from this document: How to Update the Firmware of Deco

It will not be possible to properly configure your Deco mesh before firmware update is successful. Some of the Deco mesh instability could also be result of having one M9 Plus node with firmware which is almost 5 years old.

---------------

While you are updating firmware, tell me more about networking gear from your first photo.

It is OK to wall mount Deco node, I have one mounted just like yours with similar holder, has been like that for three years with no issues.

There is box with "Fiber" label on it with cable connected to black box with (I think) four Ethernet ports. Is that back box WiFi router or just wired router (no WiFi), or what is it?

Above that black box is the box with "Internet box" label. That "Internet box" has WiFi icon which is blue, which makes me believe it broadcasts WiFi signal. Is this WiFi router?

Above that box is Main Deco. Note that it is quite not right to have multiple boxes broadcasting WiFi signal in such close proximity from each other, which will create WiFi interference and could add to degraded or unstable WiFi from Deco mesh. Hence my line of questions what are these boxes.

Also, it looks like "Internet box" has power cable going to it but not Ethernet cable, is this correct? 

Options
2024-03-24 14:29:41 - last edited 2024-03-24 14:42:42

Hey

Deco's have been updated on questions

There is box with "Fiber" label on it with cable connected to black box with (I think) four Ethernet ports.

Is it WiFi router or just wired router (no WiFi), or what is it?

The small white box is the entry on the fiber in my house, the small white box converts the Fiber to an Ethernet signal, the large black box is the actual router as you mentioned.

Above that black box is the box with "Internet box" label. That "Internet box" has an WiFi icon which is blue, which makes me believe it broadcasts WiFi signal. Is this WiFi router?

Yes this is the router Above that box is Main Deco. Note that it is quite not right to have multiple boxes broadcasting WiFi signal in such close proximity from each other, which will create WiFi interference and could add to degraded or unstable WiFi from Deco mesh. Hence my line of questions what are these boxes. yes, correct two sources very close to each other. But not a lot of options. Also, it looks like "Internet box" has power cable going to it but not Ethernet cable, is this correct? No all 3 boxes are being powered

Options
2024-03-24 14:39:50 - last edited 2024-03-24 14:44:50

@SamuelB1002 

If manual firmware update was successful, you should now see firmware 1.6 for all Deco nodes in Deco app. Make new screenshot of Update Deco page in Deco app and post it again, to verify.

Then, I will still need more info about networking gear on your photo. Your response text is not formatted and is hard to read. Can you draw how these boxes connect to each other or make photo from different angle. I can not figure how "Internet box" is connected and to where. I don't even know if you need that "Internet box." 

Options
2024-03-24 14:58:20

@Alexandre. 

All deco's are at 1.6.3 now

Sorry for the messy reply

I try again

1 White Box

This is the entry of the fiber cable

2 Small black box

Conversion of Fiber signal to Ethernet cable

3 Large Black Box

Router with wifi signal

4 Main Deco

Hope this helps.

Samuel

Options
2024-03-24 15:34:28 - last edited 2024-03-24 15:34:52

@SamuelB1002 

Now that all three Deco are on 1.6, you can use Connection Preference feature to connect them to each other the way you want. See How to select a preferred signal source on the Deco App

Do that the way you want and your Satellite Deco will always be connected the same way to each other. 

-----------------

What will happen if you power off large black box with "Internet Box" label on it? Will Main Deco still have Internet access? If Main Deco LED goes red after that, power large black box back on.

Options
2024-03-24 15:42:25

@Alexandre. 

they are now set in the daisy chain config, so far its seems to be working OK.

I did check the speed again, the main deco is still way off what the router can get in output. Why is that so ?

yes if I would unpower the main internet box, there will be no signal anymoer for the Deco. I mightvcheck if there is a way to stop the transmission of the primary wifi signal.

samuel

Options
2024-03-24 16:06:53 - last edited 2024-03-24 16:37:20

@SamuelB1002 

Main Deco is a router. What you have on that photo is two, maybe three, routers connecting to each other. This is not right.

I am trying to see if you can get rid of "Internet box." You should be able to. After we are done with proper setup of your networking gear on that photo, I will work with you on tuning Deco mesh WiFi performance. Is it OK?

If it is, please do the following:

1. Power off "Internet box" and Main Deco.

2. Ethernet cable that connects to Main Deco, take its other end and plug to one of free Ethernet ports of small black box (the one with exclamation mark).

3. Power on Main Deco.

4. Keep "Internet box" powered off.

5. See if Ethernet port on small black box to which you connected Main Deco Ethernet cable has its indicator LED go green (on top of that box).

6. Wait for about 5 minutes for Main Deco to settle down. If its LED now green, you don't need "Internet box" any longer.

-------------

In case Main Deco LED does not go green after 5 minutes, undo the change.

Options
2024-03-24 20:38:32

@Alexandre. 

Hallo

Thanks for the tip Tried but had no internet anymore.

The Internet box is also providing signal for my TV and it is used by the provider for a bunch of other setups.

BR

Samuel

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1225

Replies: 21

Related Articles