Need Router Suggestion which uses MDNS Multicast (Apple-Bonjour)

2024-05-11 09:47:57 - last edited 2024-08-07 05:39:05

Hi Guys,

I need a TP-Link Wi-Ri Router suggestion which uses MDNS Multicast (Bonjour) It is a communication Protocol that Apple devices use to work in sync, to communicate with each other. Have a lot of Apple devices and it would be best if I can get a Router which talks and communicates via Multicast(Bonjour)

Apple Bonjour - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonjour_(software)

MDNS Multicast - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multicast_DNS

Please suggest guys.

Thanks

Options
5 Reply
Re:Need Router Suggestion which uses MDNS Multicast (Apple-Bonjour)
2024-05-13 04:23:26

@Marvin_S 

Ok so which Router from the Entire range of Products that TP-Link has which Router from that supports MDNS Multicast ?

Options
2024-05-13 09:06:35

@Marvin_S 

Also if you can suggest a WiFi Router in TP-Link which has all the below features in it, even that would help?

• Enable Multicast routing (IGMP Proxy)
  • Airfairness
  • IGM Snooping

Options
2024-08-01 09:07:07

Hello  @augustya ,

Have you gotten a response to your mDNS question yet?

I have the DECO M5's and I've just about had it with Mesh networks and TP Link. 

All vendors always telling me they don't support mesh and now mDNS is a required item that TpLink does not account for? 

oy

Options
2024-08-06 09:26:07 - last edited 2024-08-06 09:28:30

@augustya 

Hi, thanks for posting question on our community.

After confirmation, Multicast DNS (mDNS) packets are typically used for device discovery within a local network, primarily for discovering and managing devices between Apple products and some IoT devices. TP-Link products do not need to process these mDNS packets, they simply need to forward them to the corresponding devices. All of our TP-Link products support forwarding mDNS packets to other devices within the local network. 
Typical use cases: 
Discovering/Configuring smart device in your local network.
Using Apple services like Airprint, Airplay, etc.

On the other hand, a small number of users may use mDNS for domain name resolution. TP-Link products cannot directly resolve the domain names in the mDNS requests, but they can forward these mDNS packets to the corresponding devices (if your devices support it). This way, you can still receive the results of the mDNS resolution.
Typical use cases: 
Using the device hostname such as test.local to visit the device. This succeeds if the device supports mDNS.
Using the device hostname such as test.local to visit the device. This fails if the device doesn't support mDNS.

@John-Gilbert 

Above is also suitable for Deco series.

Options
2024-08-06 09:36:16

@augustya 

Hi, as I know, not all the models support all features you mentioned.

You may check whether the  router model supports the features you required or not from its Specifications on your local official website, taking Archer AX80 as an example.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 495

Replies: 5

Related Articles