Parent Control Disabling Internet On one Device

2024-05-22 04:19:25

Archer AX21. I tested setting up Parental Control > Block a couple websites. Works fine. One one machine, setting up any kind of parental control disables all Internet. Network Adapter is Enabled.

We do use unmanaged switches.

Let know if you need additinal information. Thank you.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Parent Control Disabling Internet On one Device
2024-05-22 22:54:53 - last edited 2024-05-22 23:08:48

@erich14 

Hi Did you make a test profile (child 1 devices) and then set the basic rules of Web page blockers aswell as device cut off times?

Or did you just set some basic rules and have accidentally selected all devices which logically to me sounds like what has happened. 

I would suggest creating profiles for your family members/ devices in your network and adding them to each of your profiles you have created. 

Annoying as it is going to be at the start  but you will have to go round all your devices and obtain their IP/MAC addresses for this to be easier for you in the long run by changing the names on the client list for when it comes to adding those devices onto the profiles. 

Heads up though.

if your devices has the capabilities to be either hard wired or wireless  (I have ethernet ports in every room of my house so I try to get as much off wifi as possible) then each device that can be hard wired normally is able to have wifi so it will have 2x mac and ip addresses so if you just add the wifi mac/ip to the profile and then later on connect it via ethernet then that device will then have unrestricted access. 

In my sons profile  it says he has say 10 devices  but in reality he doesn't as 6 of those devices are actually 3 devices but as he has the means of using wifi and ethernet in hos room it registers say his xbox as 2 seperate  devices becuase he can connect it via ethernet or wifi becuase of the different MAC/IP adresss. 

Also heads up again that if your devices have a VPN on them and they are active then the rules you set on the profiles will not work regardless what rules or cut off times you have implemented. 

As far as I'm aware as long as the vpn isn't active then the rules/restrictions will work. 

Here are some examples of my profiles that I have set up for the devices in my house that each individuals have in my network. 

Each profile has their own rules that are implemented for that person/area devices so that my kids/neices can't access things that aren't appropriate for them. 

As the pic shows in my sons profile is a basic over veiw of  all rules/restrictions I have set for him so far.  

Each profile I've set has a similar overview layout based on the person's age ect. 

My living room profile is set for all my devices that are downstairs so that if any of my kids decide to come downstairs in the middle of the night and try watch tv ect they can't as the controls block them access from the Internet. 

This last pic shows what I ment by how 1 device say a xbox/PS or even a pc/laptop can have 2 ip/mac addresses for the 1 device as how I've had to add both for each device so my kid doesn't beat the parental controls 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 247

Replies: 1

Related Articles