M5 Deco mesh keeps losing internet but OK as APs

2024-05-31 13:38:00

For some time previously I had been using my Virgin Media hub 3 configured as a Modem with 3 Deco M5s set up in a mesh to provide WiFi. Fairly recently I started to lose the internet on a regular basis. The m5s were each  showing a red faulty light. The VM hub had a magenta light on ( as always). Unfortunately, I was unable to intergogate the hub as I understand I need a wired connection and I don't have a wired ethernet computer any more.
I have found out that if I reset the VM hub as a default router and the M5s as APs everything works with no loss of internet over that last couple of days!

The error log on the VM box shows a couple of "No Ranging Response received - T3 time-outs" but only one per day.

I've monitored the internet and the graphs look OK so to me it points towards the Decos.

Has anyone come across this before and/or could provide some guidance?

thanks.

Options
2 Reply
Re:M5 Deco mesh keeps losing internet but OK as APs
2024-06-19 12:32:02

@Marty01 

Hi,

Do you need to use the Deco product in router mode to use some function in it?

If it always drops in router mode, please check if the Deco still have a WAN IP when it drops. If it can still get an IP address, you can change the DNS settings to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

How to change DNS server settings on my Deco.

If it can not get IP, please check if the Virgin Media hub is working or if it has some advanced settings that prevents the Deco from getting an IP. 

And please also check if the Deco units have the latest firmware version. How to Update the Firmware of Deco

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
Re:M5 Deco mesh keeps losing internet but OK as APs
2024-06-19 14:41:05

@Marty01  To close this down I called out Virgin Media and they replaced: the Hub, the wiring to the wall, the wall socket, the junction box outside the house and connected me to a different termination in the street box!  According to the VM Engineer the connection was at too high a level and needed attenuation.
I think that's double speech for it was a bad installation that was fixed by a competent technician..

Been solid as a rock since then.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 165

Replies: 2

Related Articles