GX90 does not support Maxis Fibre (Malaysia)

2024-06-03 18:03:05 - last edited 2024-06-04 01:33:00
Model: Archer GX90  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.4 Build 20231117 rel.54217(5553)

It would not utilise full 500Mbps bandwidth that I'm subscribed to, only half rate. 
I had to revert to making it obtain Dynamic IP from the Maxis Router via the ISP's LAN port connection. It's messy and I can't optimize my network effectively as they are then on two separate subnets. DMZ and port forwarding does not work. 

Hopefully a firmware update is available to enable it to act as modem/router.
I am aware it is EOL.
But there should be some responsibility in supporting your users on what's considered premium product.

Please enlighten us if you happen to have a fix for this.

Options
3 Reply
Re:GX90 does not support Maxis Fibre (Malaysia)
2024-06-04 03:27:34

@TerraScout 

Hi,thanks for posting question here.

May I confirm that you want  Archer GX90 to work as a modem router? If so, I am afraid that is impossible. Archer GX90 is only a wireless router, which has no modem function.

Not all functions/features can be added via firmware update.

If your network topology is Maxis Router--Archer GX90, it is suggested to set up GX90 as Access point mode to avoid double-NAT.

What’s the difference between the Access Point Mode and Router Mode on the TP-Link wireless router?

Options
2024-06-05 05:13:14 - last edited 2024-06-05 05:46:01

@Marvin_S Thanks for the reply.

I may have misrepresented my issue. Thanks for the heads-up about the double NAT (which is also an issue trying to get some services on my network to be connected to WAN).

Previously I have plugged the WAN port to the fiber internet PON and it works. The only issue is it doesn't go full bandwidth (only about 200Mbps instead of the 500Mbps), in fact it's not even half the subscribed bandwidth. Using the ISP's own router a Huawei LG8245X6, it runs full bandwidth, best effort of about 480Mbps.

The current configuration is i set the GX90 as a routerS(still) and obtain Dynamic IP from the ISP's Huawei LG8245X6 -- for the sake of the full bandwidth -- I really detest the Huawei LG8245X6.

Is there some capping on non-ISP routers or as some mentioned online (i.e. GX90 has some issue with QoS and requires it to be disabled).

Any advice?

============================

Update: PPoE mode, successful, disabled QoS as pointed out by some online forums -- getting about 400Mbps (out of 500Mbps) now. So it appears that enabling QoS for "Game Accelerator" feature would lose me over 100Mbps some for reason. Router OS/firmware fix in order?

-----

30 mins later, top speed average is only 290Mbps. Why is this?

Options
2024-06-07 01:41:32

@TerraScout 

Hi, thanks for the update.

It is suggested to follow this guide step by step to troubleshoot (using speedtest.net), and share the results if you need further confirmation.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 287

Replies: 3

Related Articles