Weak Signal of Satellites in a house with 4 floors

2024-06-11 19:28:01
Model: Deco S4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.6.1

Hey there,

I have the following issue and I would be very happy if you can help me out with it. I am trying to build a wireless network in a 4 floor house. Each floor is approximately 115 sq.m. and has a 3 or 4 different rooms, I have installed 1 Deco S4 on each floor. On the 4th floor is the internet router which is connected to the Main Deco with Ethernet cable. The signal on this floor is great, and the speed is getting slower in the other rooms on the same floor. The other Decos are with weak signal, the speed is enough to connect and use some of the house utilities like oven, washing machine and etc., but cannot be used for surfing. I use all of the default settings instead of that I switched to Access Point (as far as I understood I guess it's the better one in this case). 

what are my options to improve the signal?

thanks in advance!

Options
12 Reply
Re:Weak Signal of Satellites in a house with 4 floors
2024-06-11 20:21:09

@stavrov 

The best option would be to have Ethernet cables between floors and connect Satellite Deco to each other and to Main Deco using Ethernet cables, like this:

If you can do that, WiFi on each floor will be as good as on the 4th floor with Main Deco.

Options
2024-06-12 19:31:10

@Alexandre. Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I am able only to link 2 of them, but now at least I have proper connection on 2 floors.

I am wondering if I the usage of a powerline adapter between 2 satellite decos will improve the connection?

Options
2024-06-13 11:58:27 - last edited 2024-06-13 11:59:27

@stavrov 

Powerline adapters is an option, but you will need three adapters: two for Deco that are not wired, and one for Ethernet wired Satellite Deco, so that all three will establish wired link to each other and to Main Deco.

Not every brand of powerline adapters supports Deco Ethernet backhaul. For that reason, TP-Link brand is recommended and choose from those adapters that have single Ethernet port.

There might be other options available, I'll be able to figure that if you can give me more info:

1. Which Deco did you manage to wire with Ethernet cable, on which floors? 

2. Do you have TV (coaxial) cable(s) going between floors? With proper adapters, these can be used to pass Ethernet traffic and link Deco to each other. 

Options
2024-06-13 14:22:12

@Alexandre. 

Hey there,

So here is the setup:

4th floor - Router which is connected to Main Deco with Ethernet

3th Floor - Satellite Deco connected to Main Deco with Ethernet (It also has Powerline adapter to be connected to 2th Floor Deco)

2th Floor - Satellite Deco, connected to 3th Floor Deco with Powerline Adapter

1th Floor(basemant) - Sattelite Deco wirelessly connected 

I do have Ethernet link between 4th and 2th floor which is used fo TV, but its behind the TV and I'm not sure that its worth it to be used with all the cables.

Current installation is without the Powerline Adapters, I will add them later today. At the moment i have strong signal on 4th and 3th floor and weak on 2nd and 1st floor. I hope that the Powerline Adapters will improve the signal on the 2nd floor.

I would be very thankful if you can check this setup and give me any tips.

Regards,

Stavrov

Options
2024-06-13 14:37:34 - last edited 2024-06-13 14:38:18

@stavrov 

I like your plan with powerline adapters, so I'll wait till you put them in place and see the result, before discussing other options.

If 2nd floor Deco can use powerline adapter to establish wired link, you should see 2nd floor Deco reporting Ethernet backhaul and in Deco app you will see it connected to 3rd floor Deco.

If you connect 2nd and 3rd floor Deco to powerline adapters, adapters see each other but 2nd floor Deco still reports WiFi backhaul, it could mean powerline adapters are not compatible with Deco Ethernet backhaul.

Options
2024-06-13 18:04:37

@Alexandre. 

hey there,

I got a situation and need some hint. I am using. Deco s4 which has 2 Ethernet ports. On the Second floor Deco one of them has to be used for the house cameras, the other one is from the 3rd floor Deco and there is no free slot for the power adapter?

what are my options here? I guess that I cannot connect the 1st floor Deco to the 3rd floor.

Thanks in advance!

Options
2024-06-13 19:17:15

@stavrov 

Have you bought powerline adapters already? If not, TP-Link has adapters with two Ethernet ports, you could try those: "TP-Link AV2000 Powerline Adapter (TL-PA9020P KIT) - 2 Gigabit Ports."

Options
2024-06-13 19:41:29

@Alexandre. I have old ones, they are tp-link but unfortunately they are with only one port.

what are my options now? I saw that a deco x50 has 3 ports, can I use them to connect to other 2 decos and a NVR and is it compatible with Deco S4?

thanks in advance!

Options
2024-06-13 19:53:23 - last edited 2024-06-13 19:55:40

@stavrov 

I would suggest you test these Tp-link adapters with Deco first. Unplug security camera and plug Deco.

If Deco do work with these adapters and WiFi speed is acceptable, just get inexpensive 5-port gigabit unmanaged network switch from TP-Link brand. Use it to expand number of Ethernet ports. 

TP-Link switch should be compatible with Deco Ethernet backhaul. 

Options
2024-06-14 06:06:32

@Alexandre. 

hey there,

unfortunately after using the powerline adapters the 2nd floor deco still uses Wi-Fi.

any other ideas will be appreciated.

thanks for you support

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 829

Replies: 12

Related Articles