RE 450 as AP transfer slower than expected

3 weeks ago
Model: RE450  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.20 Build 230213

Hello Dear Forum,

I have purchased RE450 to use it as convenient wall plug AP as my Ethernet cable socket is next to power socket.

I feed the device via Ethernet cable with 1.2 Gbps at the end (measured by plugging  laptop to Ethernet port  and fast.com).

However with 2.4G  WIFI I am gettin max 44 Mbps and with 5G WIFI  at most 70Mbps :(

Which is surprising low as I expected at least 250 0r 300 Mbps.

It is all measured next to device like max 2 meters from it.

Is this myth that Ethernet port there is 1 Gbit fast? Or maybe as AP it designed not get  transfer rates above 100 Mbps?

Or what could be reason to get that slow transfers?

Thank You in advance for any suggestions

Options
3 Reply
Re:RE 450 as AP transfer slower than expected
3 weeks ago

@MarcusMarcus 

Most probably that's an ethernet cable issue.

Change the ethernet cable that connects the ethernet port and the RE450 - it has a gigabit ethernet port for sure.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
3 weeks ago

@terziyski Thank You for quick reply.

It gives a bit of hope that transfer speed is not blocked by design for AP mode.

But it can not be a cable.

I have tested this on 2 seprate cables (again) . Each  provides 1Gbps mesured on notebook directly connected.

But each time the same cables connected to RE450 gives 60-70 Mbps on 5GHz Wifi very close proximity.

It must have been choking somewere inside the box (RE450) - firmware?  :(

Options
3 weeks ago

@MarcusMarcus 

You can do the following experiment:

Unplug the RE450 and move it near your main router. Plug it back and connect the ethernet cable directly to your main router LAN port.

Check the speed of the connection via your main router WebGUI. If the speed is 1000 mbps then your internal cabling is causing the issue.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 134

Replies: 3

Related Articles