Not Getting Full Speed with Extender

3 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago
Model: RE605X  
Hardware Version: V20
Firmware Version: 1.0.11

I have a 300mbps fiber connection and I am only getting 94mbps on my Firestick 4k Max.   My Firestick 4k Max can only connect to 2.4ghz.  I also have a WIFI 6 AT&T Gateway.  Thanks.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Not Getting Full Speed with Extender-Solution

@Craiger 

It depends on several factors.

1. Half-Duplex: Range Extenders are half-duplex devices. This means that they can only communicate in one direction at a time, either to a client or to the Router/AP. In most cases, this means that your bandwidth or internet speeds will often be somewhere around 50-80 percent of the speeds seen from the router itself. 

2. Technology: The technology of both the extender and the router plays a role in the speed available. AC is lower than AX, and AX is lower than BE. To take advantage of the newer technology, the router and RE must support it.  

3. Bandwidth Channel:  20 MHz has greater range but lower speeds.  40 MHz has greater speeds but a lower range.  At 20 MHz, your maximum speed is 100 Mbps.  At 40 MHz, you can get up to 200 (AC), 300 (AX), or 400 (BE).  But again, your router and RE must support the technology, and in most cases, that particular technology will need to be enabled on the host router. 

For troubleshooting and to determine if you have the best possible speeds, we recommend using the Tether app's location check tool to determine if the extender's position is ideal. We would also recommend, if you are not already, setting separate SSIDs for the Extender.  Clients that have the ability and need the extra bandwidth should connect to 5GHz

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Not Getting Full Speed with Extender
3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

I changed to different SSID names on my Gateway and now my Fire Stick 4k Max can see the 5ghz network. I am getting 200mbps on the 5ghz network on the extender. I forgot to mention the gateway is on the first floor and the extender is in the basement and there isn't another floor between them. Is 200mbps the best I can get? Thanks.

Options
Re:Not Getting Full Speed with Extender-Solution

@Craiger 

It depends on several factors.

1. Half-Duplex: Range Extenders are half-duplex devices. This means that they can only communicate in one direction at a time, either to a client or to the Router/AP. In most cases, this means that your bandwidth or internet speeds will often be somewhere around 50-80 percent of the speeds seen from the router itself. 

2. Technology: The technology of both the extender and the router plays a role in the speed available. AC is lower than AX, and AX is lower than BE. To take advantage of the newer technology, the router and RE must support it.  

3. Bandwidth Channel:  20 MHz has greater range but lower speeds.  40 MHz has greater speeds but a lower range.  At 20 MHz, your maximum speed is 100 Mbps.  At 40 MHz, you can get up to 200 (AC), 300 (AX), or 400 (BE).  But again, your router and RE must support the technology, and in most cases, that particular technology will need to be enabled on the host router. 

For troubleshooting and to determine if you have the best possible speeds, we recommend using the Tether app's location check tool to determine if the extender's position is ideal. We would also recommend, if you are not already, setting separate SSIDs for the Extender.  Clients that have the ability and need the extra bandwidth should connect to 5GHz

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 118

Replies: 2

Related Articles