TP-LINK TL-WA901ND Newbie Question

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-02-11 09:54:33
Region : Australia

Model : TL-WA901ND

Hardware Version : V3

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi i am getting adsl2+ connected at my new house it is a two storey place and the only phone wall socket is downstairs in an awkward place

i need to feed internet connection upstairs but i want to do it over ethernet so it can connect 3 pc's upstairs and one downstairs

the upstairs computers are connected with cat6 cables what i would like to do is send a wireless signal from my adsl2+ modem (billion 7800n) across the other side of the room to just under the stairs where a wireless access point like this would recieve the signal then send the signal out the back on the single ethernet port it comes with then into a TP-Link 8-port switch and then along the cables upstairs to another switch and then across to the 3 computers

here is a basic diagram of what i am say

|--------PC 1
Internet -------------- Modem ))))) (((((( Access Point----------Switch----------Switch------ PC 2
^Phone Line^ ^Wifi^ ^Ethernet^ ^Ethernet^ |-------PC 3

Is this possible with this device perhaps like in bridge mode or something

basically want to know if it will recieve a internet connection wirelessly then share that through it's ethernet port and then over a wired network
Options
2 Reply
Re:TP-LINK TL-WA901ND Newbie Question
2014-02-13 16:30:52
I suggest you that dont use the bridge mode.
The floor between1th and 2th is usually more than 1 feet thick and the wireless signal will get so weak.
Options
Re:TP-LINK TL-WA901ND Newbie Question
2014-02-13 17:27:08

Kick-Ass wrote

I suggest you that dont use the bridge mode.
The floor between1th and 2th is usually more than 1 feet thick and the wireless signal will get so weak.

I think you may have misunderstood me what i want to do is have both the modem and the access point on the 1st floor about 15 feet away and have a switch sitting next to the access point which will connect via a short ethernet cable into the switch and then from there the internet connection will be sent the rest of the way over cat 6 ethernet (20 meter cable)

so the only time it is a wireless signal being sent and recieved is from the modem to the access point which is as i said about 15 feet away (in my garage) i currently have a 5 port gigabit switch (TP-Link of course) setup in there which is feeding streaming video from my Server upstairs to a Media Player in an 1 bedroom apartment this took one 20 metre cable from the server to the switch and then another 20 metre cable from the switch into the apartment and all works well i now just have to get an internet connection on these lines which is why i though of the access point as it has a single ethernet port (granted a 100mbps one but good enough for my 20mbps internet connection)

so use the access point and switch to patch in an internet connection to an existing network
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 535

Replies: 2

Related Articles