Please help me with dhcp lease time

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-03-27 20:08:24
Region : Brazil

Model : TL-WR740N

Hardware Version : V4

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello. I need help with my network.

I have a TL-WR740N wireless router connected to the cable, and then a TL-WA701ND Access Point acting as a bridge to connect it to my PC via ethernet cable.

It's kicking me every once in a while and then it comes back automatically 30-60 seconds later, but enough to make gaming impossible.
Somehow, I figured in router statistics that exactly each 90 minutes there is a "DHCP get ip" command which is probably what is causing it. With some research I found out this is the lease time which for some reason wants to drop my connection and renew ip automatically.

Then I saw two possible solutions. First was using a static IP for my PC, and second increasing lease time as much as possible. First sounded too complicated, so I tried increasing lease time. The odd thing is it was set as 120 minutes, both in router and bridge, but the reconnection is happening each 90 minutes...anyways increased lease time on both devices to max (2880 minutes), via DHCP -> DHCP settings, saved and rebooted.
Turns out nothing changed, except it now displays the lease time is 2880. But every 90 minutes it triggers that dhcp get ip as always.
So did I do something wrong? Should I make things differently because of the switch in the middle? Is there a way to disable this lease time completely?

The optimal solution would be setting a static IP to myself, but I found it too complicated considering there's the bridge in between. I have no idea how to do it, and if possible I would like to leave it dynamic for other connections to the router, I just want my computer ip never to change. If it's not possible then ok I could set all static, the most important thing is stopping the disconnects. If you could tell me exatcly what to do (and how) in my PC, switch and router in order for it to work, I'd be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Options
1 Reply
Re:Please help me with dhcp lease time
2014-03-27 21:22:25

fotodamaris wrote

should started by posting OS (operating system)
Here is one how to http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?faqid=14
If you are MAC at the bottom of the Tuto is a link to if you need more on top click FAQ tab

My apologies. The OS is Windows 7.
I read the FAQ. I've tried before to set a static IP within range. After rebooting all devices it did not work, I didn't get internet connectivity. I was unsure how to find out the default gateway, too, so I'm not sure I put it right. Anyways, doesn't the bridge between my PC and wireless router affect the config?

Another question I've been wondering. Do you think it could be that my PC doesn't recognize the new lease time configuration on router? Since reloading router page it is saved as 48 hours lease time but will still kick me each 90 min...
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 7544

Replies: 1

Related Articles