Need some help setting up a WDS connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-07-11 22:20:53
Region : Others

Model : TL-WR740N

Hardware Version : V4

Firmware Version : 3.16.5 Build 130329 Rel.62825n

ISP :

Hello.

I have spent a lot of time trying to configure the setup that i want, but nothing works. I have a WR740N router set us my main router and it's the one that gets the connection from the ISP's modem. Now i want to increase the range of that signal with two additional routers. One was not enough so i bought two WR743N routers to cover a longer distance, but i seem to be running in to all kind of trouble with this. I was reading that you can't just cascade two or more routers in universal repeater mode to increase the wireless signal's range, so today i tried to switch them both to WDS repeater mode.

This is the trouble i have run in today. At one point i did manage to ping all three of the routers at the same time and that's when i tried to test the connection on my phone. The first repeater worked OK and i could access internet on the phone, but when i got out of range of it and only in the range of the second repeater, i could not longer access the internet. Also, for some my phone showed the signal strength at full. After some time, it disappeared and i could not even access the internet from my first repeater.

Even more than that, now i could not access the internet from my main PC, which is connected to the WR740N with a wire and it seemed like i needed to log in to the administration page for the PC to see that there is a router and after that, i could access the internet from my PC.

So to recap, i went from being able to ping all three routers, to not being able to ping any router at all, just by walking around with my phone and trying to detect the signal.

Also at times, when i could access the repeaters through the administration page, they felt very slow and sometimes worked at random times.

I feel like i am doing something wrong and that there is some conflict or interference between the routers or something like that, which causes them to drop randomly.

Any help would be appreciated.

thank you.
Options
1 Reply
Re:Need some help setting up a WDS connection
2014-07-25 20:51:28
Finally had some time to work on this setup and finally managed to get it working. I threw out the idea of WDS, because it just felt like nothing was working with it. But i got everything to work after i changed both of my additional routers to Bridge mode. I just connected the first bridge mode router to my main router and the second bridge router to my first bridge router and everything is working flawlessly for now.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1238

Replies: 1

Related Articles