How to change workgroup name on router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-10-14 04:52:24
Region : Canada

Model : TL-WDR4300

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version : 3.13.33 Build 130617 Rel.46239n

ISP :

The Master Browser is not correctly working which means sometimes I can see some of the PC/devices in the 'Network' section of Windows Explorer and sometimes I can't. Master browser is a good concept but with flaws. If for any reason, the PC or device that is the elected master browser crashes or doesn't shutdown properly (or god knows what else), it sends the master browser process to heck. The next time you reboot there's a different master browser elected (or the same PC that crashed if no other PC or devices are on) and this one now shows some or all the devices.

I therefore would like to see my router (TL-WDR4300) becoming the Master Browser (it's on all the time and has never crashed). This would give more stability in showing PC and devices in the 'Network' section of Windows Explorer and allow reconnect to my mapped drives (I know that some NetGear allows some of its routers to be master browser).

In order to accomplish this, I have to be able to change the workgroup name on my router (I think the default is 'Workgroup' for the TL-WDR4300 but I'm not 100% sure). I already have a workgroup called 'HOMEOFFICE' and I have no intention of changing the workgroup name on all the PCs and devices - I'd rather change it only on the router from 'Workgroup' to 'HOMEOFFICE'.

I can't find any settings in my router to do this. Is it possible? and if not, can someone direct me to a NetGear or other trusted(?) brands of routers that can accomplish this.

Thanks
Options
1 Reply
Re:How to change workgroup name on router
2016-10-21 00:46:26
Is there any tp-link router, with changeable workgroup name?
How to change on an vr200v or vr900v also?
Options