TL-WA901ND Not giving internet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-02-27 09:04:39
Region : Philippines

Model : TL-WA901ND

Hardware Version : V3

Firmware Version : 3.16.9 Build 141030 Rel. 47420n

ISP :

So, I got a TP-Link TL-WA901ND to do a wireless bridge to my primary router AP (D-Link DIR 636L). It's not working. I added the MAC address of my wireless bridge on the primary router and I can ping the primary router from my bridge. However, when devices connect to the bridge/AP, they are unable to ping the primary router.

Here's what the topology looks like:
internet > modem / router from ISP > DIR 636L > TP-Link Wireless Bridge > ioT device (*no internet
Connecting directly to my DIR-636L works fine and there's no problem in that aspect.

I've updated the IP / Default Gateway on the TP-Link to match the primary router's DHCP IP range. I've also reserved its IP there so it should stay with that IP address as far as DHCP server is concerned.

When I connect to the SSID of my TP-Link bridge, it just only sees the TP-Link and not anything else beyond it. The TP-Link CAN ping the D-Link Primary AP from diagnostics. If I disable DHCP from the TP-Link as it should be on the bridge/AP, I cannot obtain an IP from the TP-Link at all.

Please help. I'll post more details when I get access to the laptop with my notes.
Options
3 Reply
Re:TL-WA901ND Not giving internet
2015-02-27 14:42:59
Did you check IP address obtained on the device connected to WA901ND?
DHCP has been disabled on WA901ND, right?
MAC filter is enabled on the main router?
If you disable it, does the bridge work?
Options
2015-02-27 18:08:01
Hi,

To answer your questions, the primary router does have a MAC address filter set which is why I added the MAC address of my TL-WA901ND on my router. I have checked the IP address on the device connected to the bridge and it indeed has IP address range consistent with the network (if DHCP is enabled on the bridge). Without DHCP, my device cannot connect at all to the bridge with AP.

The shop I bought the device from sent someone over to check my configurations. He claims that the wireless bridge on the TL-WA901ND never worked and that the only way to get a bridge with AP working is to wire the connection from my primary router to the bridge which is surprising and frustrating to hear. He suggested we configure it as a wireless repeater instead and to use Smart IP configuration and not to touch the DHCP settings (which are disabled on Smart IP).

This apparently worked in my case so I suppose that will have to do for now.
Options
2015-03-11 11:02:14
I added the MAC address of my wireless bridge on the primary router and I can ping the primary router from my bridge

That is wrong settings. The shop guy is not familiar with TP-LINK's configuration.

Here is the answer I found.

http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?79776-TL-WA701N-in-bridge-mode-not-passing-network-packets

Just configure the WA901ND as bridge with AP mode. It can connect to any router by default (Uncheck WDS option on WA901ND if the router doesn't support WDS). The main router treat it as a normal client device. Thus don't put the WA901ND's MAC address in your main router !! No need to do that.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2788

Replies: 3

Related Articles