Lag spikes when using TP-Link TL-WN722N wireless adapter

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-04-07 16:13:49
Region : Australia

Model : TL-WN722N

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP : iiNet

I'm getting spikes of 500ms-2000ms latency every five minutes or so. I'm pretty sure this is due to my wireless adapter; it occurs on both my PC and laptop with the adapter, on Windows 8.1, Fedora and Ubuntu, but not on my laptop's built-in wifi. The spikes are visible when pinging 192.168.0.1. Updating the adapter to the latest driver helped reduce the frequency and severity of the lag spikes (previously they lasted ~5 seconds and occurred around once a minute). My computer is in a different room to the router, which is a Netgear DGN2200. I've got an ADSL2 connection from IINet. The problem occurs even when no other devices are connected to the wireless network. I have tried with my laptop right next to the router, the spikes still occur when using the adapter. When using my laptop's builtin adapter, the connection is reliable when in the same room as the router and very unstable when not.

Is this a problem which is likely to be solved by buying a different adapter? Even better would be a software solution, but as far as I know there are no alternative drivers.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 973

Replies: 0

Related Articles