Archer T4U

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer T4U

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Archer T4U
Archer T4U
2015-09-25 00:16:30
Model :

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I bought a couple of these for use around the house and while they are not bad, they're not great either.

First thing was the bundled software with Windows 10. This completely broke all the wifi on a PC. I ended up having to restore the registry just to get wifi back. I don't normally use bundled software but in my haste to have a play, i missed the tick box for driver only.

Now the speed. I have an older Belkin AC USB 2 that sits quite happy at 35MB/s all day. The Archer T4U will only get a maximum of 25 MB/s on the same PC... same place etc. Windows 10 just installed the driver after the repair and won't allow any of the drivers from here or on the CD saying the best is installed.

Would you say it's a driver issue causing the 10 MB/s drop over the Belkin? I'd rather not mess with my network as I get great speeds from all my other AC PCI-E cards and laptop/USB ones.

Thanks
Options
4 Reply
Re:Archer T4U
2015-09-25 11:52:49
There is no TP-LINK driver for T4U to run on Windows 10.
It is plug and play on Windows 10 as the system itself has the built-in driver.
Options
2015-09-25 18:28:19

M Diamond wrote

There is no TP-LINK driver for T4U to run on Windows 10.
It is plug and play on Windows 10 as the system itself has the built-in driver.

Yes I see that.

The speed question was related to the driver that Windows uses and other peoples experience with the same adapter.

EDIT:

It seems that Windows 10's driver for the RT8812AU chip is part the problem, this in turn probably leads back to Realtek. We'll just have to play the waiting game and see if a better driver gets released instead of the ones Microsoft use.
Options
2015-10-01 00:56:52
Even the most recent driver on the website is almost 2 years old contrary to what the website states, that and the distinct lack of drivers on the realtek site is annoying.

I did send a query to TP-Link regarding the driver (for win 7/8) including dates/revisions, never heard anything back, cheers TP-Link.
Options
How to switch
2015-10-01 09:28:37
I just got one of these. I have a Mac that only has built in wireless N so I bought this to upgrade it to AC since my Archer D9 ADSL2 wireless router is AC and my iPad and iPhone are AC. First there were no Mac drivers on the CD so I finally found them as a download. All installed OK and I found it connected better using the WPS buttons on the router and the T4U. So I connected to the Router at 5Ghz but the WPS tab on the Wireless Utility only shows the 2.4Ghz. There doesn't seem to be any way to switch the T4U into 5Ghz like you can on a router. I rang their Tech Support but weren't much help. Pretty sure they didn't understand what I was asking. Really two things. Don't know if I've overridden the built in N with the dongle's AC or how to switch the dongle to 5Ghz. Certainly testing the Wifi speed from Mac to router is faster. From 162 Mbps to 216/246 Mbps but if I could change it to 5Ghz it might be faster still. Documentation is lousy even reading the Windows install doesn't help.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 916

Replies: 4

Related Articles