Model TD-W9980 - Connectivity problem to BT Infinity

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-01-18 20:05:59
Model :

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have failed to connect to BT Infinity with my new TP modem router. On the quick set up process I have "failed to verify Router Settings" . I have spoken to a couple of "experts " and they say that 3rd party modem connectivity to BT Fibre optics can be very difficult/impossible. I am a novice in this rspect.

I have BT Infinity 1, with a speed of about 24 Mg on BT Home Hub 5. I run off Windows Vista

Can the forum please advise whether connectivity is possible to the TP unit I have purchased (TD W9980 )and the problems I need to overcome. The disk provided with the unit was dated Jan 2014 and there may be firmware downloads I need etc

I bought the TP Link unit because it enables me to turn off wi fi when I am working on my desk top and so want to persevere with this unit if possible. BT technical support have refused to help me.

If I get a positive reply to this post then I will employ an expert to install - otherwise I will have to return the unit

Many thanks in anticipation
Barry
Options
5 Reply
Re:Model TD-W9980 - Connectivity problem to BT Infinity
2016-01-19 00:10:07
dont use the cd its rubbish .use the built in setup its does the job better

(1) are you replacing the bt hub with the td w9980 is a adsl modem ??

(2) or you connecting the td w9980 as a seperate router ??

if your going for number one you best look at youtube or bt forums most isp like sky ect wont let you change there modems unless you hack the modem to get your settings (doing that will get you in trouble with bt)

if your going for number 2 you got the wrong product you need a cable router . which you can use on virginmedia sky bt ect and provide you better speed and wifi then the rubbish uk isp give out just by connecting to the lan port on your bt hub
Options
2016-01-19 17:26:48
Many thanks

I am replacing the BT Hub

I did try to use the built in set up but the web link provided on the instructions was incorrect and so I did not get a connection. I have now found the correct link, but I am a novice here and do not know the answers to some of the questions. I am almost certain that I will need to download some more software and am not sure how I can do that - without a modem link! I will try U Tube etc as you suggest

It would realy help me if I just got one reply to this thread saying it is possible to use this modem on BT Infinity at this time
Options
2016-01-19 20:54:06
Did you try this [url]http://wiki.kitz.co.uk/index.php/TD-W9980_QuickSetup
Also
if you got full working internet download the latest firmware for the routerFirst and after its uploaded and rebooted do a factory reset then try it Also make sure you have your login user name and password from bt For the router
Options
2016-01-20 00:50:49
Many thanks
The instructions on the link look good
My problem is that if I access http://tplinkmodem.net to access the web management page which allows connectivity, it just sends me to a site where I can buy a TP modem?? Can you confirm the website I need to access to enable web based connectivity.
Options
2016-01-20 04:37:03
Should be written on the bottom of the routerWhat I do when installing cable modems for people on virgin Is reset the router get to the login screen where admin and password goes and bookmark The screen then setup it up if there need to get in to the login page it's then there for them On troublesome ones use the cd to setup then bookmark the page I find manually typing it in fails on some
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1257

Replies: 5

Related Articles