TD-W8961NB as simple PPPoA bridge/modem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-08-21 18:21:17
Model :

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello,

I've bought a TD-W8961NB with the intention to use it just as a simple ADSL modem/bridge. However I can't figure out how to configure it that way, or whether this is even possible. I'd like the router to just bridge my ethernet and ADSL lines and then set up a PPPoE session from my OpenWRT router.

There are a few mentions of "bridge" in the manual. One is to set up a bridged RFC1483 connection which is a different protocol altogether, not what I am looking for. (I've tried it, didn't work.) Then in the manual I found this option: "Bridge Interface: Activate the option, and the modem router can also work in Bridge mode." I've tried that as it did sound promising, but still, if I then try to set up a PPPoE session from my router I get no response. A discovery packet as described by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point-to-point_protocol_over_Ethernet#Client_to_server:_Initiation_.28PADI.29 is sent by my PPPoE client, but it never receives a PADO response through the TP-Link.

Is what I want even possible with this device?
Options
2 Reply
Re:TD-W8961NB as simple PPPoA bridge/modem
2016-08-24 20:39:09
Do you know what kinde of "Annex" has your ADSL line (A or B)?
Options
Re:TD-W8961NB as simple PPPoA bridge/modem
2016-08-25 14:59:34
ISDN so Annex B. Took me some effort to find a device for that!

But is bridge mode not possible depending on the annex? Note that the modem does work otherwise, it gets a linesync and if I try ordinary routing all just works. But I want to do the routing from our existing OpenWRT device, and I want IPv6 which I suspect is best done by having that OpenWRT router own the PPPoE session.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1300

Replies: 2

Related Articles