Archer C5400 parental control problem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer C5400 parental control problem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
27 Reply
Re:Archer C5400 parental control problem
2017-07-17 20:04:16
Same thing here. Just out of the box, did an upgrade, and have the same issue. I was thinking it was because I cannot get the upload speed test to finish. Sounds like maybe a bad firmware version
Options
2017-07-17 23:48:00

zeuscho wrote

Once I click save, the font colour for settings just turn red and nothing happened. And the settings not saved.

This is my exact same experience using two different browsers and 2 different PCs. The documentation says the times are optional but... The timelimit and bedtime turn red whether they are enabled or not.

Clicking save merely gives the processing wheel icon for a second and returns to this page with the red fonts as you see them.
Options
2017-07-18 01:35:57
Solved!!! I went through the same problem as you were facing, creating
profile and no luck until I tried the following. Keep in mind that the following
procedure will erase all your settings from your router: (ie: router name, passwords, etc.)
but if you follow all steps, you will recover them back with the exeption that you will need
to create the parental control profiles. It worked on Archer C5400.

1. Login to your router
2. click on the Advance Tab
3. Scroll down to System Tools
4. On System Tools, click Backup & Restore
5. First, click on backup (Save a copy of your current settings.) This step is optional.

It will create a file backup-Archer_C5400-2017-xx-xx.bin where the xx are the date.

As you already lost all of your parental control profiles you will need
to create them again.

6. On the same screen Backup & Restore, go down to Factory Default Restore.
WARNING! Click ONLY the Restore button. This will restore your router to the
factory defaults, but will keep your login settings to your router.

Once you finish, login again using your email and password credentials. From here,
you need to setup your router settings again or restore them with the backup file you created.

It did work for me. Hope it works on yours as well, and all other facing this. As you can see I have the latest firmware.

Options
2017-07-18 01:39:42
Solved!!! I went through the same problem as you were facing, creating
profile and no luck until I tried the following. Keep in mind that the following
procedure will erase all your settings from your router: (ie: router name, passwords, etc.)
but if you follow all steps, you will recover them back with the exception that you will need
to create the parental control profiles. It worked on Archer C5400.

1. Login to your router
2. click on the Advance Tab
3. Scroll down to System Tools
4. On System Tools, click Backup & Restore
5. First, click on backup (Save a copy of your current settings.)

It will create a file backup-Archer_C5400-2017-xx-xx.bin where the xx are the date.

As you already lost all of your parental control profiles you will need
to create them again.

6. On the same screen Backup & Restore, go down to Factory Default Restore.
WARNING! Click ONLY the Restore button. This will restore your router to the
factory defaults, but will keep your login settings to your router.

Once you finish, login again using your email and password credentials. From here,
you need to setup your router settings again or restore them with the backup file you created.

It worked on my C5400. Hope it works for everyone else facing the parental control problems.
Options
2017-07-18 02:42:54

portlal2poe wrote

I am also unable to Add a parental control....I get through the little wizard, hit save, and all the all the fields turn "red", with no message informing me what it is that I might have done wrong....so yeah, that's no good.

2 Weeks after a firm-ware upgrade release (if 20170630) and not fixed? And how on earth could something this simple get through the QA of their release processes...? So maybe TP-Link doesn't actually have any QA on their release processes...?

On the Backup & Restore screen of your router web page, go down to Factory Default Restore. Click ONLY the Restore button. This will restore your router to the factory defaults values, but will keep your login settings to your router.

Once you finish, login again using your email and password credentials. From here, you need to setup your router settings again. Then you should be able to add parental control profiles. I did it on my C5400 and worked just fine. I now can add, edit or delete any profiles I want. Hope this works for you.
Options
2017-07-18 05:14:57

Anton L.Z. wrote

hi zeuscho, did you restore the old settings backup to this router? if so, reset this router to factory default and try again.

I am having the same exact problem as Zeuscho and I did restore from a very recent backup since I didn't want to sped another hour setting it up again. Seeing as did this from a brand new router ( Zeuscho's) and has the same problem I'm inclined to think that isn't the issue.
Options
2017-07-18 10:54:54

go720er wrote

On the Backup & Restore screen of your router web page, go down to Factory Default Restore. Click ONLY the Restore button. This will restore your router to the factory defaults values, but will keep your login settings to your router.

Once you finish, login again using your email and password credentials. From here, you need to setup your router settings again. Then you should be able to add parental control profiles. I did it on my C5400 and worked just fine. I now can add, edit or delete any profiles I want. Hope this works for you.

Will try it out later because the router isn't on my hand at the moment.
Options
2017-07-18 14:26:59
did anyone backup the settings from the old firmware? maybe this is caused by the old setting is not compatible with the new firmware.
Options
2017-07-18 15:40:51
Hello,
Restore backup file of the old firmware after upgrading will cause the problem absolutely. Because the new firmware has new functions which old firmware doesn't have. If you never do it but still encountered this problem, I suggest to contact TP-Link Technical Support directly for help.
Options
2017-07-19 10:05:38
This worked for me. I will add that since I updated to 170630 then restored a backup file from the prior version I had to use "Factory Restore" and manually re-configure the router from scratch. Then Parental Controls work well.
Options
Related Articles