Does allowing remote access prevent the routine change of private WAN ip address of isp?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Does allowing remote access prevent the routine change of private WAN ip address of isp?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-13 12:35:51
Model: TL-WR940N  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version: 3.18.1 Build 171030 Rel.43957n

My ISP provide dynamic IP address both public and private. It randomly changes from time to time. But since  I turned remote management on from router, this change does not happen any more. Is this really happening for turning remote management on?    

Options
2 Reply
Re:Does allowing remote access prevent the routine change of private WAN ip address of isp?
2020-04-13 16:36:59

@dipro7 

there is nothing to do with the Remote Access enabled. You just happened to have a period of time that your public WAN IP didn't change.

Most ISP don't assign static public IP address for home users. If you want to have a static public IP, you need to call your ISP. And mostly, they will charge it little.

The workaround is to use DDNS function. Nowadays, most home routers have this function already, and most of them are free of common use.

Options
Re:Does allowing remote access prevent the routine change of private WAN ip address of isp?
2020-04-13 22:18:20

@matthew.mfden thanks. I was actually talking more about the private WAN ip. Because for remote log in, router only accepts the private ip, followingby the port number. I have been observing it for quite some time and as long as I enable remote management on it stays static. Otherwise it changes at least once a day.

matthew.mfden wrote

@dipro7 

there is nothing to do with the Remote Access enabled. You just happened to have a period of time that your public WAN IP didn't change.

Most ISP don't assign static public IP address for home users. If you want to have a static public IP, you need to call your ISP. And mostly, they will charge it little.

The workaround is to use DDNS function. Nowadays, most home routers have this function already, and most of them are free of common use.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 782

Replies: 2

Related Articles