Omada_SDN_Controller_v4.1.5_linux_x64 cannot start

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-14 01:37:58

Just saw today that the new Omada SDN controller 4.1.5 is out.

downloaded from https://static.tp-link.com/2020/202007/20200713/Omada_SDN_Controller_v4.1.5_linux_x64.tar.gz

after trying to put things into my docker container, I realized the release is very broken

1. in the release note, it still says Built-in JRE 1.8 Java environment.

but when I inspect the tarball, the entire /jre directory is gone, and when I check the control.sh

the JRE_HOME changed from "${OMADA_HOME}/jre" to "$( readlink -f "$( which java )" | sed "s:bin/.*$::" )"

so basically tpeap is now looking for the jvm from the system instead.

is this a mistake? it will be much nicer if tplink can pack the jre as what's indicated in the release note so my container can be easier to build

2. missing mongod from the /bin directory

after I tried to fix the JRE problem (Oracle made this super hard to download the JRE from their website now, requires a login, so I use openJDK 8 instead for now)

my server hang while starting up, I check the /logs/server.log and it says failed to start mongod

then I realized the mongod binary is missing??? so is the Omanda controller expecting mongo from the system as well now? or the file was not packed in the tarball somehow?

thanks for the help

Options
4 Reply
Re:Omada_SDN_Controller_v4.1.5_linux_x64 cannot start
2020-07-14 12:59:04 - last edited 2020-07-14 13:07:13

pixielark wrote

it will be much nicer if tplink can pack the jre as what's indicated in the release note so my container can be easier to build

I disagree.

Bundling binaries which come from other packages makes the controller package architecture-dependend and also version-dependend.

Exactly this was the reason I re-packed Omada controller as an architecture-independend community version, which uses the java / mongod binaries from the system's standard repository. Omada controller is not the only application which needs to use mongod and there is no reason to have two mongod binaries on the same system, especially as Omada controller also makes use of other binaries such as ps, netstat and curl, which never had been bundled with the controller.

By avoiding binaries Omada SDN controller now becomes portable and architecture-independend. Additionally, it allows to use latest versions of mongod and the JRE, which are both not maintained by TP-Link.

What should be the reason to use Java language for portability if the package is architecture-dependend b/c the java binary itself is included in the package? This is contradictory and highly inconsistent.

Installing Oracle's JRE is a matter of either installing the Oracle Java package from the repository or downloading a TAR archive from the Oracle website and extracting it (the latter needed only if the Linux distribution decided to not support Oracle's Java as a package for whatever reason – if this is the case with your distribution, please complain to the maintainers of this distribution for doing so).

Installing mongodb is also a matter of just downloading the package from the repository.

I'm glad that TP-Link finally removed the binaries from the Omada controller package. This greatly simplifies installing the controller on other architectures.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2020-07-14 17:30:26

R1D2 wrote

Bundling binaries which come from other packages makes the controller package architecture-dependend and also version-dependend.

Unfortunately, the Omada package is very verion-dependend, so I would disagree them to remove the build in JRE binary unless they make their controller compatiable with latest LTS JDK, i.e. JDK 11 currently.

I am lucky enough that I am only messing with the controller in my docker container, imagine deploy this to an actual instance, now just because of the controller I need to push a mostly deperated JDK 8 into my system just to run this thing.

also their mongod binary is clearly miss packaged, the controller is not using the system mongod service at all, instead is still trying to look for the mongod binary in /bin, so I have to install mongod server and create a softlink to the /bin in order for the controller software to start.

Hope tplink can fix these errors soon

Options
2020-07-14 19:00:16 - last edited 2020-07-14 19:00:57

pixielark wrote

Unfortunately, the Omada package is very verion-dependend, so I would disagree them to remove the build in JRE binary unless they make their controller compatiable with latest LTS JDK, i.e. JDK 11 currently.

Yes, it's indeed version-dependend and architecture-dependend and that's bad. After all, Java should be portable, shouldn't it?

Anyway, I couldn't get it working with any other version than JRE8, which still is being patched when security issues turn up.

I am lucky enough that I am only messing with the controller in my docker container, imagine deploy this to an actual instance, now just because of the controller I need to push a mostly deperated JDK 8 into my system just to run this thing.

So you should be able to set things up for your isolated docker container. I have to provide actual instances on different platforms and that is why I can't use architecture-dependend packages.

also their mongod binary is clearly miss packaged, the controller is not using the system mongod service at all, instead is still trying to look for the mongod binary in /bin, so I have to install mongod server and create a softlink to the /bin in order for the controller software to start.

Right, TP-Link likes to do it the Windows way even on Linux and bundle everything into the package.

Except jsvc, curl and netstat – surprise, surprise!

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2020-07-14 20:00:33

I personally also prefer that I can now use the system provided JRE and I no longer have an outdated, bundled JRE.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1388

Replies: 4

Related Articles