Archer C80 - IP Addresses not being assigned for some devices, some of the time.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer C80 - IP Addresses not being assigned for some devices, some of the time.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-22 20:28:00 - last edited 2021-01-18 14:48:58
Model: Archer C80  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.0 Build 201022 Rel.53112n(4555)

Hi, 

(apologies if this is a bit long winded, but want to provide as much info on setup as i can in case it helps!)

Setup:

I've recently setup a home network as follows

• Virgin Media SuperHub 3.0 set to Modem Mode (I believe VM only support IPv4, or at least they had to switch something on their end to assign me an IPv4 address from the previous IPv6 before I could switch to Modem Mode)
  • SuperHub 3.0 connected to Archer C80 router with IPv6 disabled and DHCP server enabled.  Address pool in range 100 - 249 (only connecting about 15 devices)
  • Archer C80 connects (via LAN) to
    • Netgear GS116E Gigabit Ethernet Switch (Smart Managed) - DHCP server is disabled, but otherwise default settings remain
    • LG TV (ground floor) - relatively new model from earlier this year, connected directly to ethernet port on router
  • Netgear switch connects various points around the house via CAT5e cabling, but primarily
    • Laptop
    • Archer C60 - DHCP server is disabled & device is in Access Point mode (connected via the C60's WAN/Internet port)
    • LG TV (first floor) 

The Problem:

Some devices are unable to obtain an IP address from the C80 Router, some of the time, therefore preventing me from connecting to the internet, whereas others work fine without any issues

for example

• LG TV (ground floor), which is wired directly to the router is unable to obtain an IP address randomly - sometimes when it is first switched on, othertimes after a period of time. In TV settings it will have received it's own link local IP address until I uncheck/check the 'automatically assign IP' option
    • Note that the LG TV (first floor) that is wired via the Netgear switch does not have this problem
    • IP address lease time is set to 120 minutes
  • Laptop (connected via the Netgear switch) - when i switch on the laptop it also gets a link local IP address, if I release/renew the IP via command line or restart the laptop it will be correctly assigned an IP Address by the router
  • iPhone - if i leave the WiFi range and re-enter it I will be unable to connect and have to 'Reset Network Settings'  and reconnect to the WiFi (reboots, airplane mode, switching on/off wifi don't work, only the reset network settings option)
    • This occurs regardless of whether I am trying to connect to the C80 or C60 router - but when I move between the two (when connection is already established) there are no issues

I had initially thought it was a DHCP conflict with one of the other devices on the network, but they are now disabled (with exception of the C80 router) & Laptop is not always switched on.  The fact that i have the problem on devices which are wired directly to the router and wired through the switch leaves me to believe the problem is with the router rather than the switch (in addition to wireless devices)

All cabling was tested & works correctly

From the AC80 logs (which i know very little about),

• about 35% of the IP assignments are NAK's  (if thats relevant),
  • the following warning occurs regularly "[dhcps]Lease host name not found."  Whilst i've seen others report this issue with this warning in the log, there were no clear resolutions that I could find
  • also in the log (not as frequently) is another warning "[dhcps]192.168.192.XX belongs to someone, reserving it for 3600 seconds."
    • this is not in my address pool but is the IP address that my devices (e.g. iPhone) recieve when it is unable to connect to the Internet - so not sure why C80 would be picking it up/trying to reserve it?

Would appreciate any suggestions on how to resolve, it's frustrating having to reset IP's on multiple devices multiple times throughout the day!

Regards, 

Gavin

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Archer C80 - IP Addresses not being assigned for some devices, some of the time.-Solution
2021-01-18 11:32:51 - last edited 2021-01-18 14:48:58

@Ivaylo 

Problem solved (finally)

It was a rouge DHCP server, which was coming from my Horizon set top box; I had wired it to the router as that was the original configuration from Virgin Media, but which was causing an IP conflict.

Thank you for your help & suggestions!

Regards, 

Gavin

Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:Archer C80 - IP Addresses not being assigned for some devices, some of the time.
2020-12-23 08:24:57 - last edited 2020-12-23 08:34:04

@Gavin2020 

Double check if all DHCP servers in your devices are off (except C80).

Check if you have used IP & MAC address Binding in C80 settings - turn them off.

Try to use Address Reservation in C80 for the problematic devices (laptop, phone, TV) configuring:

If you recently upgraded your C80 FW, hard reset - (Method 1) the router and then reconfigure from scratch before configuring settings above.

Reboot C80, then release/renew TV, phone, laptop network settings and test to see if that helps.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
Re:Archer C80 - IP Addresses not being assigned for some devices, some of the time.
2020-12-29 23:45:04

@Ivaylo 

Apologies for the late response, I haven't had a chance over Christmas to try to resolve this.

I've double checked DHCP Servers are off.

I have not used IP & MAC address binding.

I have tried using address reservation in C80 for phone & TV - this appears to have resolved the issue for the TV (at least it hasn't dropped the connection since I made the change a couple of days ago, so looks good so far), but for my phone I still have the same problem.  When I do a manual reset on the phone, it will then be assigned a 'random' dynamic IP rather than the one that has been reserved... I will play around with this some more on some of my other 'mobile' devices to see if they are correctly reserved and report back (maybe it's an issue specific to the phone, although i suspect it's more to do with the device leaving the wifi zone, which obviously the TV does not (as it's wired connection)

I haven't yet done a hard reset - will do this if issues occurs on multiple mobile devices after reserving the address.

Regards, 

Gavin

Options
2020-12-30 01:45:06 - last edited 2020-12-30 02:02:02

When associating your phone to your wireless network, you should have a choice to associate it with phone MAC or random MAC address. Choose phone MAC address to avoid changing MAC address every time you're associating to the wireless network - thus DHCP reservation for phone should work as any other wired device.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-01-02 11:36:26

@Ivaylo 

Still no luck with the phone issue - i've changed settings on phone so that MAC address is static & then reserved the IP on the router - but even though the phone's MAC address is static it still gets a random IP not on my network

Regards, 

Gavin

Options
2021-01-02 12:19:01

@Gavin2020 

Well, the other thing I could suggest is to switch functions of C80 and C60 devices - C60 as a main router and C80 as an AP.

This way you could isolate the issue if it's with the DHCP server of C80 device.

Apart from that a hard reset and re-configuring from scratch C80 device is another option you could try (if you think it's to much of an effort re-purposing the devices.)

Options
Re:Archer C80 - IP Addresses not being assigned for some devices, some of the time.-Solution
2021-01-18 11:32:51 - last edited 2021-01-18 14:48:58

@Ivaylo 

Problem solved (finally)

It was a rouge DHCP server, which was coming from my Horizon set top box; I had wired it to the router as that was the original configuration from Virgin Media, but which was causing an IP conflict.

Thank you for your help & suggestions!

Regards, 

Gavin

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2871

Replies: 6

Related Articles