Archer C6 Router Dynamic DNS Problems

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-02-17 09:35:17
Model: Archer C6  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.7 Build 20201010 rel. 49458 (5553)

Hello

I am writing with the aim of calling your attention to Dynamic DNS problems.

This model does not work with the DNS of the ISPs, so there are difficulties to synchronize with the NO-IP servers for remote access. When changing the ISP DNS to google servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 the link to NO-IP works, but in the table of records of the NO-IP account register the private IP instead of the public IP assigned by the ISP making address translation impossible. The firmware of the current routers have deteriorated ostensibly compared to the old versions that were more stable and accurate when establishing links. For these reasons TP-Link must improve its current products with release of firmware updates to correct these errors. 

Options
20 Reply
Re:Archer C6 Router Dynamic DNS Problems
2021-02-17 14:23:24

@GA_Polo 

Do you have any ISP device (router, modem, etc.) before the Archer C6 in your set up ?

If you upgraded C6 FW recently try hard reset the device (method 1) and re-configure from scratch to see if that would help.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-02-18 00:02:28

@Ivaylo Yes, I have an ISP Router before the archer C6 router. The ISP manages its own DNS servers so it is necessary to synchronize the Archer C6 router with these DNS address so that obtain a dynamic public IP. I have worked with the old versions of TP-Link: TL-WR841N and TL-WR740N and these synchronize normally with the ISPs DNS when trying to access the dynamic DNS

Options
2021-02-18 00:32:23 - last edited 2021-02-18 01:04:52

@GA_Polo 

What's your C6 WAN/Internet IP address ? Is that the private IP address that has been updated into the no-ip database ?

If that's the case then you have two options :

1) If it's possible  try to configure Dynamic DNS on the ISP router.

2) The other option is to ask the ISP to set their router in bridge mode (again if it's possible) and receive your public IP address on your C6 WAN/Internet port.

Either of these can solve the issue.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-02-18 04:42:35

@Ivaylo 

My private IP address C6 is 192.168.1.XX. This address is reflected in NO-IP database.

Your recommendations are valid and correct.!!!!

1- I tried to change the DNS of the ISP's router to Google's DNS, but the ISP automatically updates them to their default DNS addresses.

2- I cannot request the bridge conversion of the ISP router because I have other Archer C6 routers in operation. if this happens only one router would have a IP public address.

As I said before, I worked with several old TP-Link Routers of the TL-WR841N series and these were normally associated with the dynamic public addresses provided by the ISP and I could access them remotely from Internet without problems. In the NO-IP database, the public addresses of each registered router appear and updated in real time the public addresses that the ISP dynamically assigned.

In the case Archer C6 Router, TP-LINK must work on a new Firmware update that allows it to be compatible with any DNS server and also with any dynamic DNS provider such as NO-IP to manage the device from the internet.

Options
2021-02-18 05:58:49 - last edited 2021-03-19 22:24:14

@GA_Polo 

OK, got it. I didn't know that you have a few router devices behind the ISP router.

I assume you already did this to resolve the no-ip.com IP address:

Can you make this change and test if that would help in your case:

Options
2021-02-18 08:14:12

@Ivaylo 

Hello

I did the procedure you mention as it is in following picture

In the NO-IP database it changed to the public address assigned by the ISP 

I connected to another network that is not related to the ISP in question and the Following image appeared 

I tested connectivity with a TP-LINK TL-WR840n router with the ISP's DNS and this one can be accessed from the internet. It gives the impression that Archer C6 problem may be a programming problem between the web interface and DNS dynamic service.

Options
2021-02-18 09:24:26 - last edited 2021-02-18 09:25:21

@GA_Polo 

OK, so after all the correct public IP address is updated into the no-ip database.

Can you move the C6 web management port from the default port 80 to something else (8080 for example) and test again ?

For this to work you have to open that TCP 8080 port on the ISP router to the internal (private) IP address of C6.

Options
2021-02-18 23:49:43 - last edited 2021-02-19 00:01:27

@Ivaylo 

The Routers are already programmed with ports other than port 80, in fact the tests that I have shown you are already configured with port 8080 and as you saw in the previous image you cannot access the remote managment. 

Options
2021-02-19 00:59:03 - last edited 2021-02-19 01:08:03

OK. Good to know that. What if you try to access the WebGUI of the C6 by its public IP address directly (http://<public IP address>:8080) - is it accessible ?

Options
2021-02-19 01:13:06

@Ivaylo 

When doing the procedure, the C6 WebGUI is not accesible

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3775

Replies: 20

Related Articles