Issue with Archer C6U when used as wired AP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-07 09:30:18 - last edited 2021-04-09 07:35:23
Model: Archer C6U  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello,

I am having a strange problem with my Archer C6U router when used with other TP-LINK devices. My setup is following (also please see pic below):

I have an Archer C5 with Wi-Fi enabled provided by my ISP. This router is connected to the Internet and I don't have any admin access to it.
From the Archer C5 I have:

1. An ethernet connection to an Archer C6U (which is running in Access Point mode with Wi-Fi disabled). To this Archer C6U I have 3 other devices connected via ethernet cables (a desktop PC, a Playstation and an Apple TV).

2. An ethernet connection to TL-PA4010 which then transmits the Internet connection to a TL-WPA4220 (Wi-Fi disabled). From TL-WPA4220 I have a wired connection to a laptop.

Now for the issue:
When I was running this setup (with the Archer C6U connected) the laptop connected to TL-WPA4220 was having serious network stability issues. There were a lot of timeouts and lost packets and it was basically impossible to connect to Internet on this laptop.

I tried to search for a solution and I found that Archer C6U had DHCP server enabled (even though it was set up in Access Point mode). I disabled the DHCP server and the connection issues seemed to disappear. There were no drops, timeouts or any other issues on the laptop connected to TL-WPA4220 for some time. Unfortunately, the problem reappeared after several days.

When I replaced the Archer C6U with a spare Asus RT-N19 (also running in Access Point mode with Wi-Fi disabled) the problem disappeared altogether.

Can someone figure out why is the Archer C6U interfering with the TP-WPA4220 this much and how can this be prevented?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Issue with Archer C6U when used as wired AP
2021-04-07 10:36:15 - last edited 2021-04-09 07:35:23

@ferus

Make sure that you are using this scenario for C6U in AP mode (using its Internet port to connect to the C5 LAN port)

Set Static IP (not Smart IP) and set DHCP Server Off on the C6U LAN interface.

The C6U IP address should be in the same subnet as the C5 LAN IP address - preferably outside C5 DHCP range.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-04-07 10:56:06 - last edited 2021-04-09 07:35:23

@terziyski Hi, thanks for your response.

I am basically already running this scenario except the Wi-Fi is disabled on C6U.

The C6U is running in AP mode and is connected via Ethernet cable to the C5.

I already disabled DHCP a few weeks ago and that seemed to help but only for a few days.

I will try to set a static IP (instead of smart IP).

I have a question - how can I check the DHCP range of the C5 that belongs to my ISP and to which I don't have any admin access?

Options
2021-04-07 11:12:00 - last edited 2021-04-09 07:35:23

@ferus 

You can't. Just put 192.168.X.254 as the LAN IP address for C6U, X depends on which is the 3-rd octet of your LAN subnet.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-04-07 11:14:09 - last edited 2021-04-09 07:35:23
Gotcha. Will try that. Now let's see if this will help. Thank you for your help so far.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 761

Replies: 4

Related Articles