Request for best wifi router and positions for my 4000 Sq ft Home

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-05-26 02:11:33 - last edited 2021-05-26 02:12:45

Hi,

I am looking best router and locations for installing the routers for my new home. Below is the floor plan of my house. Could any one help me on the same? Thanks in advance for the support.

Options
8 Reply
Re:Request for best wifi router and positions for my 4000 Sq ft Home
2021-05-26 14:05:22

@Punith 

I'll give it a try.

You will need WiFi mesh with three units: M (Main Unit), and two Satellite Units: S1, S2.

This is what I would recommended, assuming walls are made of wood (better WiFi penetration) and not concrete.

M* is an alternative placement for Main Unit M, you can try either of two places (M* or M) and see which gives you better WiFi coverage where it matters. 

S2* is an alternative placement for Satellite Unit S2, you can try either of two places (S2* or S2) and see which gives you better WiFi coverage where it matters. 

Note that Main Unit M must be connected by the Ethernet cable to the Internet (ISP provided modem/router).

If you have Ethernet cables terminating in bedroom(s) or at any other places in your home, recommendations will change substantially. 

------

These recommendations should be valid for any WiFi mesh system, not just Deco. If you decided to proceed with Deco, selecting specific Deco mesh model type out of many will depend on your needs and expectations - if you'll need help with choosing specific Deco unit, I'll have to ask additional questions.

Options
2021-05-26 14:20:19 - last edited 2021-05-26 14:26:08

@Alexandre. Hi Alexandre,

Thanks for the prompt response. Below are the responses for your queries / assumptions.

-> Type of walls : Cement Brick walls. Will the current suggestion change with Cement Brick walls?

-> Lan connections : The property is still in implementation phase. So as per your suggestion we will plan the lan availability.

-> On Deco unit model : Please share your queries so that you can better guide me on which can best Deco option.

Options
2021-05-26 20:00:22

@Punith 

Brick and cement walls negatively impact WiFi signal. Ignore my updates to floor plan in previous post, this will have to be done completely differently.

------------

How to wire house for WiFi mesh

Bring LAN connection to each bedroom. Does not matter where in the bedroom, but you should have one ethernet port per bedroom. Near the power outlet, of course, so that you can plug WiFi mesh unit and connect it to home LAN.

Also, place LAN port in Drawing room, and one more - in Living/Dining room, ideally at the place I marked with red M, which is where your first WiFi mesh unit will be.

That does not necessarily mean you'll have to have WiFi mesh units in every bedroom, but this will future proof your house and will let you place WiFi mesh units where it matters most for WiFi coverage, currently and in the future.

You might even wish to add LAN port to the kitchen, to cover all possibilities. That could be an overkill, but if in few years you'll have a lot of internet connected kitchen appliances, you'll be glad you have strong WiFi signal for them coming from WiFi mesh unit sitting right in the kitchen.

--------------

WiFi mesh deployment.

Start with three unit WiFi mesh. Put first unit at place marked with red M. Put two remaining units in bedrooms. If you have two bedrooms with most WiFi usage, these units should go there, otherwise it does not matter which bedrooms they are in.

Check WiFi signal in bedrooms wiithout mesh units. If WiFi signal is weak - add WiFi mesh unit to that bedroom.

Check WiFi signal in Drawing room. If WiFi signal is weak - add WiFi mesh unit to Drawing room.

In total, you may have to budget for WiFi mesh system consisting of 3 to 6 units (not counting kitchen unit), which is reasonable for house of that size. You must select mesh system that is expandable, to add more units if you need to. Deco mesh is one of those, you could buy individual Deco units, packs of 2 and 3, and seamlessly make additions to your existent WiFi mesh.

-------------

Figuring best Deco unit models for your WiFi mesh.

Questions:

1. What speed of Internet connection is planned for your house when it will be built?

2. If Internet speed is under 500Mbps, do you anticipate you can (and will) upgrade to faster Internet speeds in the next 3 to 5 years? For example, to gigabit.

Options
2021-05-27 01:14:18

@Punith 

Greetings ...It seems you are in India where there are 12 inch Brick Walls and Concrete floors !! I live in India, I have a 5600 sq carpet area home on 2 floors plus 2 mezzanine extensions. All the walls are 12" brick and concrete floors. Welcome to the jungle. 

During a major renovation about 8 years ago , I set up a network of 6 gigabit Ethernet (under the floors) wired from my Router to major High Haulage ares with individual Gigabit switches  ( Home Theater , Two 4 K TV's , My study ..all populated with Media Streamer's from Roku , Apple TV , NVIDIA , Sony PlayStations , BluRay's , Cable TV Boxes ....) So the Major Bandwidth consumers are wired where the Speed Test (or Fast.Com) consistently shows 300 + . My main provider is ACT with fall back from Jio ( My router has dual lan so auto switch if Internet fails) .

I have a home automation system with a mix of WiFi and Zigbee and presently shows 72 devices. Of course the WiFi on automation is significantly on 2.4 . So the major consumers of Wi-Fi are a couple of iPads , 4 mobiles , many sensors and the ip camera's. The Zigbee devices have their own mesh. I have added  3 Deco V60 as Access Points with Ethernet Back Haul placed around the house ..do note that they are all connected to the main Router by Cat 6 cables. I still find a few weak spots and plan to add 2 more V60's. Till then I had a spare TP Link EAP which is in operation.

My family consists on Self , Spouse , Son and DIL . I am not a Techie but from the old Mortar & Brick economy  , 67 year old , who loves gadgets !! 

Moral : Brick Walls and Concrete floors are a Demon ...Wire all Media Consumers and populate as many mesh or EAP in rooms.

Have a great day.

Options
2021-06-02 04:06:36

@Alexandre. 

Thanks a lot for your inputs. They are really helpful.

Figuring best Deco unit models for your WiFi mesh.

Questions:

1. What speed of Internet connection is planned for your house when it will be built?

Currently ISPs provide 1Gbps plans

2. If Internet speed is under 500Mbps, do you anticipate you can (and will) upgrade to faster Internet speeds in the next 3 to 5 years? For example, to gigabit.

May be in 5 years we may upgrade to 1 Gbps depends on the pricing as currently it is quite costly. But ya please suggest for both the scenarios 500Mbps and 1Gbps. During the time of installation and accordingly to the market pricing will take a call.

Options
2021-06-02 04:15:59

@TempDemp Hi,

Appreciate sharing your insights. As per Alexandre and your suggestion i am getting all the possible rooms wired with lan cable. And post that as per usage i will be adding the wifi units.

I see that you have incorporated home automation for your home. Could you please suggest what i can choose and which one is cost effective with reliability. I am looking for basic things to be under home automation like lights and fans nothing fancy.

Options
2021-06-02 05:56:18
Mine is moderately advanced and as I have time can maintain.. Suggest start with Alexa enabled devices , sensors . I guess you are in India so most important : make sure that the devices you buy have an Alexa (India) skill sett . Suggest ewelink (Sonoff Sensors , now available in India at excellent prices , very moderately priced https://www.sonoff.in/ ) also suggest SmartLife compatible (available on Amazon India ) and the most excellent Shelly Cloud Range (European , 220 V , expensive) . As my setup is a bit extensive and I have quite a few devices from USA , I have an Amazon USA account (also) with the US skill sett . What I have suggested ewelink , smartlife and shelly cloud are in Alexa India Skill sett ... You could also get the new 4th Gen Echo (NOT Dot) which has a zigbee coordinator and play with a few zigbee devices . Again take care that they are Alexa Zigbee compatible (Zigbee is a Jungle) Have a great day .
Options
2021-06-02 11:52:35

Punith wrote

Currently ISPs provide 1Gbps plans

@Punith 

I would suggest you start with 3-pack TP-Link Deco X60, and then add more X60s in places where you'll need them.

X60 should be the optimal Deco model for your type of house and Internet connection. Budget for up to 6-7 Deco X60 units, they may be expensive but they worth it.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1805

Replies: 8

Related Articles