Omada Controller 4.3.5 does not find SG2008P switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-06-16 22:44:28 - last edited 2021-06-16 23:54:43
Model: SG2008P  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.1 Build 20210407 Rel.54710

I have a basic setup, with Omada Controller 4.3.5 running on an Ubuntu Server 20.04 machine and two EAP225 Access Points, all three of which are connected to an SG2008P switch.

Switch IP is 192.168.10.31

EAP #1 IP is 192.168.10.35

EAP #2 IP is 192.168.10.36

Controller IP is 192.168.10.49

The controller finds and adopts the EAPs without issue, but never detects the Switch. I can ping the Switch from the Controller command line, and I can ping the Controller from the Network Diagnostics tab in the switch page. I have tried the switch on FW v1, and v1.0.1 and it doesn't make a difference. I have tried with "Cloud-Based Controller Management" both disabled and enabled in the Controller Settings Tab on the Switch. I'm not sure if this applies to a local Controller or just the cloud option so I tried both ways. When enabled I tried both with and without the Controller IP entered in the "Inform URL/IP Address:" box.

I noticed that the switch automatically adds port 29810 to the end of the IP so I captured traffic on the network on port 29810 and can observe both EAPs reach out to the controller on this port during bootup but no traffic at all from the switch. Is there any setting I am missing here? How do I get the switch to become available for adoption?

On a possibly related note, I am running several instances of Omada Controller v3, and I set the Mangement VLan for all my TP-Link devices. How can I do this with v4?

Thanks,

Options
6 Reply
Re:Omada Controller 4.3.5 does not find SG2008P switch
2021-06-18 07:45:56 - last edited 2021-06-18 07:46:12

Dear @KocherJJ,

KocherJJ wrote

I noticed that the switch automatically adds port 29810 to the end of the IP so I captured traffic on the network on port 29810 and can observe both EAPs reach out to the controller on this port during bootup but no traffic at all from the switch. Is there any setting I am missing here? How do I get the switch to become available for adoption?

Please ensure that Show Pending Devices is enabled first (it's enabled by default under Maintenance -> User Interface).

Then please verify if there is any VLAN setting configured on the Omada Controller.

Here the following troubleshooting guide and see if it helps.

What should I do when the Omada Software Controller (V4) fails to discover the devices

On a possibly related note, I am running several instances of Omada Controller v3, and I set the Mangement VLan for all my TP-Link devices. How can I do this with v4?

Please refer to the guide below to configure the Management VLAN on the Controller v4:

How to configure Management VLAN in Omada SDN Controller

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2021-06-19 18:24:10 - last edited 2021-06-19 19:57:06

@Fae Thank you for your response.

I have confirmed that Show Pending Devices is enabled. I believe I would not have been able to "see" the Access Points to adopt them otherwise.

I have worked through the steps in the "fails to discover" link as follows:

1: LED Status: LEDs are showing normal behavior. Clearly the switch is working because the traffic between the adopted WAPs and the controller passes through it.

2: IP addresses are known and confirmed.

3: I can ping the switch and access points from the controller.

4: Controller, switch and access points are on the same VLAN and subnet. No special configuration needed.

5: I am using Ubuntu. No Windows Defender firewall present. I have tried with the UFW firewall disabled on the Server and this did not make a difference. It seems logical that since the WAP discovery packets passed through the firewall the switch discovery packets would as well.

6: The discovery Utility appears to be a Windows program, and there are no Windows devices on this network.

I have worked through the "Management VLAN" link as follows:

1: VLAN 11 has been added on the Wired Networks page.

2: As above, devices all have confirmed IP Addresses

3: When I go to the Devices page the SG2008p switch does not show up so these steps are impossible, which led to my reaching out here in an effort to figure out why. When I select "Batch Config" the options are not clickable, probably because there are no switches listed.

Options
2021-06-19 19:58:46 - last edited 2021-06-19 20:03:28

@KocherJJ 

Have you access to switch on http from Controller ?

try to login and set inform address in the switch config.

deafult user and password is admin and admin

Options
2021-06-19 20:03:23

@shberge The controller itself does not have a browser. I can tunnel through the router and access the switch from my laptop over http. I have tried both with and without the Controller IP entered in the "Inform" box.

Options
2021-06-19 20:07:59

@KocherJJ 

Ok, strange thing. I have 6-7 off this switch and there no problem to adopt localy or from remote site.

Have you tryed to set dhcp option 138 to controller ip address?

Options
2021-06-20 00:48:12 - last edited 2021-06-20 00:48:50

I grabbed another switch and configured it to tag the traffic from the SG-2008P with the correct VLAN and put it between the controller and the SG-2008P. Once I did this the controller detected the switch and was able to adopt it. Once the adoption was complete I was able to remove the intermediate switch and the switch synced up to the controller again when I connected it directly.

This certainly seems like a bug to me. I don't understand why I can't adopt it after connecting to a factory default switch and adding the VLAN. It would appear that it will only "discover" the controller over the default VLAN on the current firmware version.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4545

Replies: 6

Related Articles