Unstable DECO network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Unstable DECO network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Unstable DECO network
Unstable DECO network
2021-07-28 15:54:14 - last edited 2021-08-04 09:11:26
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.3 build 20201228 Rel 55057

I live in a house where some of the downstairs internal walls are solid (brick and block) but the upstairs walls are all stud. Since I bought the system it has been very unstable. For for some reason Tuesday mornings seem the worst. Particularly on a Tuesday it seems the internal nework has crashed overnight and some days it will crash midday without warning too. My wife has been working from home for the last 18 months and does a lot of MS Teams video conferences from that 1st floor front bedroom, so its highly inconvenient to have the network crash so frequently. The PC connected directly to the main DECO seems unaffected.

Main P9 is in the study at the back of house sat on a desk. Then I have an M5  in the kitchen high up on the wall, also a back of house room. The two rooms are separated by 1 stud and 1 cavity brick wall.

Next is the lounge P9, also back of house. This shows the signal source as the main deco and not the kitchen which is closer.

The 3 units across the back downstairs are virtually in a straight line of length about 15M but separated by walls.

In the back bedroom above the lounge P9 is a M3W.

In the front bedroom, same side of house as the back bedroom above is the last P9. The main Deco therefore is virtually on a  diagonal line through the centre of the house. This unit shows signal source as the lounge not the M3w which is closer.

The house is about 15M side to side and 12M front to back. I would have thought that 3 P9 units would have been enough to provide a reliable network but I added the M5 and then the M3W one at a time to improve reliability in the front upper bedroom but without success.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to improve reliability?  My next move is to buy a powerline set to see if that helps, but I've invested enough in TP-LInk hardware and am a bit reluctant to throw good money after bad.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Unstable DECO network-Solution
2021-08-04 09:10:20 - last edited 2021-08-04 09:11:26
I swapped the two units as you suggested and the network has remained stable since. Thanks for your help & advice
Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:Unstable DECO network
2021-07-29 05:46:41

@PDP54 

Hi, would it be possible to draw a picture of the floor map about the location as well as the distance of each Deco unit?

--And it would also be highly appreciated that you could mark the signal source of the satellite Deco units.

Would any Deco turn red when the internet connection dropped out?

If most of the wireless clients suffer from the unstable issue, please refer to the following suggestions:

1. turn off the Mesh technology, fast roaming/beamforming on the Deco APP.

2. enable the guest network for 2.4ghz only that is used for most of the smart IoT devices, leave the 5ghz only for the main network for smartphones and laptops.

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-07-29 15:16:22

Hi

Thank you for your help.

Usually the drop out is noticeable to my wife during a MS Teams meeting when the image freezes. The Deco where she works in the room marked B2 has gone red. Usually access in the rest of the house is OK (I might be on a tablet or PC downstairs.

We have no IoT devices.

The P9 in room B2 usually states a signal source of Lounge

The M3W says it is working well but never displays a signal source.

Lounge has a signal source of Study (main DECO)

Kitchen has a signal source of Study

Advanced settings are: IPv4 - Dynamic

IPv6 Dynamic

LAN IP - shows a 192.x.x.x address

DHCP Server shows Start, End and default gateway  IP addresses

VLAN disabled

IPTV disabled

MAC clone disabled

Address Reservation - none reserved

Port forwarding - nothing

DDNS disabled

SIP ALG enabled

Fast roaming enabled

LED Control - Night mode enabled from 1`0pm to 7am

Operation mode - wireless router

Connection alerts get alerts when new devices connect

Notifications - Firmware, Parental control, Monthly reports and device alerts all enabled

WiFI settings - 2.4GHz off (it had been on but still had the same problems)

5GHz enabled

Security WPA2-PSK[AES]

Guest Network off

QoS - nothing set

Managers - just 1 (me)

Options
2021-07-30 06:13:01

@PDP54 

Hi, thank you very much for the detailed pictures.

For the Deco P9, in order to create PLC backhaul, especially for multiple floors where PLC backhaul behaves better than Wi-Fi backhaul, the satellite P9 would tend to pick the nearest P9.

So P9 in B2 would choose P9 in Lounge as the signal source and you might consider swapping the location of P9 in B2 and M3W.

And P9 in the lounge would choose main Deco P9, instead of kitchen M5.

(So if there is also an unstable issue downstairs sometimes, you could consider moving M5 a little bit closer to the main P9.)

--or when you are available, you could consider moving both P9 upstairs and leave M5 and M3W downstairs to relocate the mesh network.

As for the MS team meeting, please also turn off the Mesh technology on the laptop to have a look.

Options
2021-07-30 10:11:40

@TP-Link 

Hi

Thanks again.

Not sure what you mean by: "... turn off the Mesh technology on the laptop to have a look".

It's a corporate laptop that my wife uses, so do not have the ability to make changes to its setup. Could you clarify please?

In the meantime, I will change the DECO positions over the weekend, so as to not disturb my wife whilst she is working.

thanks again.

Options
2021-08-04 09:06:54

I swapped the two units as you suggested and the network has remained stable since.

Thanks for your help & advice

Options
Re:Unstable DECO network-Solution
2021-08-04 09:10:20 - last edited 2021-08-04 09:11:26
I swapped the two units as you suggested and the network has remained stable since. Thanks for your help & advice
Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 864

Replies: 6

Related Articles