Deco E4 some tech queries

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-01 21:58:25 - last edited 2021-09-02 17:44:01
Model: Deco E4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I am interested to buy TP-Link Deco E4 pack of 2 units. I have a few things not clear despite going thru online documentations

1. Can it be setup using laptop/PC thru ethernet or should I must use Android Phone or similar?
  2. Does it support MAC ID spoofing if needed? I should be manually be able to override its MAC ID
  3. Where do I get to know its MAC ID (Is it printed somewhere on the device)
  4. Can I put it in AP Mode and add second Deco to that in AP Mode

The challenge is we have Fiber connection so no Ethernet cable dropping in my house. I need to either put the default ISP’s ONT Router in Bridge Mode and setup everything on Deco or Put Deco in AP mode. Hence requesting clarity. Thanks in advance. Cheers.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco E4 some tech queries-Solution
2021-09-02 00:01:24 - last edited 2021-09-02 17:44:01

@ramki_87 

1. Smartphone is required, Android or iPhone.

2. Not in AP mode. You would not need to override MAC address if you run your Deco in AP mode.

According to TP-link documentation, you can do MAC address spoofing in Router mode. See How to Configure MAC Clone on Deco

3. On device and in app. Note that each Deco unit has multiple MAC addresses, for wireless and wired interfaces. 

4. Yes, you can, and Deco works very well in AP mode. You will still need to have Main Deco connected to ISP Router with Ethernet cable.

To avoid setup headaches, just deploy Deco mesh in Access Point mode. Turn off WiFi on ISP router, let ISP router manage home network, Deco provide WiFi coverage.

Also, are you sure you want Deco E4? What is the speed of your Internet connection? Deco E4 has 100Mbps Ethernet ports. If your Internet connection is faster than that, you should consider Deco M4 or M5, they have gigabit Ethernet ports. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco E4 some tech queries-Solution
2021-09-02 00:01:24 - last edited 2021-09-02 17:44:01

@ramki_87 

1. Smartphone is required, Android or iPhone.

2. Not in AP mode. You would not need to override MAC address if you run your Deco in AP mode.

According to TP-link documentation, you can do MAC address spoofing in Router mode. See How to Configure MAC Clone on Deco

3. On device and in app. Note that each Deco unit has multiple MAC addresses, for wireless and wired interfaces. 

4. Yes, you can, and Deco works very well in AP mode. You will still need to have Main Deco connected to ISP Router with Ethernet cable.

To avoid setup headaches, just deploy Deco mesh in Access Point mode. Turn off WiFi on ISP router, let ISP router manage home network, Deco provide WiFi coverage.

Also, are you sure you want Deco E4? What is the speed of your Internet connection? Deco E4 has 100Mbps Ethernet ports. If your Internet connection is faster than that, you should consider Deco M4 or M5, they have gigabit Ethernet ports. 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Deco E4 some tech queries
2021-09-02 17:43:51 - last edited 2021-09-02 18:15:30

Thanks a lot for such a detailed reply.

As such my ISP offers max 100 Mbps. However I now find that E4 is currently unavailable in all online stores in my region. So looks like I will settle for some standalone router like c6 and put it in AP mode as I today learnt that the ISP router does not suppprt bridge mode.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1513

Replies: 3

Related Articles