Red flashing light Ethernet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-24 13:43:16
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have connected 2 of my 4 decos to the Ethernet (the Ethernet connection is confirmed in the Deco app). The wifi reception I get is very strong close to the deco but not great if I move into another room. Also the units flash red. How can I improve the reception I get? Thanks

Options
4 Reply
Re:Red flashing light Ethernet
2022-01-24 14:44:30

@Gregor50 

Deco M5 flashing red is the problem that must be taken care first. In normal operating mode Deco M5 LED should be solid green. What if you disconnect Satellite Deco from the Ethernet cable, only leaving Main Deco wired, will they stay solid green? 

Also, see this document: General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

Options
2022-01-25 12:40:32

@Alexandre. Yes, if disconnected from the Ethernet they are solid green. However the speed is not nearly as good as if they are connected to the Ethernet. 

Options
2022-01-25 15:33:23

@Gregor50 

I would recommend you read document that I provided. It explains how to properly wire Deco units.

Short document summary: if you run Deco in Access Point mode, you could wire Deco units any way you pleased. When Deco runs in Router mode, which is the mode it is set when initially configured, there are restrictions on how Deco units can be wired.

If you are after WiFi performance, I would recommend switching Deco to Access Point mode, this is how you can do that in Deco app:

As for Deco WiFi speeds, it would help if you tell what you are getting. For me, the best I ever got from wired M5 in speed tests is 475Mbps, average speeds are 300-400Mbps, with occasional dips down to 200Mbps. 

For wireless M5, the top speed in test I ever saw was 225Mbps. Average speeds are less.

All speed tests done on Android smartphone, with Ookla speedtest app, WiFi 2.4GHz band turned off and only 5GHz band is available, smartphone is placed 4-6 feet from Deco M5, in direct line of sight.

Options
2022-02-02 14:54:10
Very many thanks. By switching to Access Point Mode all 5 of my decos are solid green. However the weak wifi continues. The speeds I get vary from 350mbps download 2bps upload (when close to each deco) to download speeds of 5 or even lower (when further away from the deco). When I say further away I mean about 5m away.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 552

Replies: 4

Related Articles