swapping Deco E4 main for M4

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-07-04 10:46:11 - last edited 2022-07-05 03:36:54
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi all

I've just purchased 2 M4 units, and currently have a set of 3 E4 (main and 2 satellites). I haven't yet unboxed the M4s, but want to replace the E4 main with one of the M4s to get the faster speeds since a broadband upgrade to 350mbps. I am using, and want to continue using AP mode. 

My first thought was to add one of the M4s to the system and then select it as the main. But there are quite a few reports on here of that approach not working? Can anyone suggest the best way to get it up and running quickly and easily? I would rather not delete the network and start again from scratch if I don't have to, so is it possible to simply remove the current main E4 from the system, set the M4 as the main, and then add the others as satellites?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:swapping Deco E4 main for M4-Solution
2022-07-04 13:01:06 - last edited 2022-07-05 03:36:54

@hejo 

These are the steps that should work for you:

1. Add M4 as Satellite Deco to your Deco mesh.

2. After you see Deco M4 in your Deco mesh, online, power off one of them, bring to where your ISP router is and connect to available Ethernet port of router. Power M4 on and wait till it is reported online in Deco app. This M4 will be your new Main Deco.

3. Switch Main Deco from E4 to M4 following steps in this document: Changing the Main Unit for your Mesh Network

4. When you see M4 as Main Deco in Deco app, you can unplug E4 that were Main Deco from ISP router.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:swapping Deco E4 main for M4-Solution
2022-07-04 13:01:06 - last edited 2022-07-05 03:36:54

@hejo 

These are the steps that should work for you:

1. Add M4 as Satellite Deco to your Deco mesh.

2. After you see Deco M4 in your Deco mesh, online, power off one of them, bring to where your ISP router is and connect to available Ethernet port of router. Power M4 on and wait till it is reported online in Deco app. This M4 will be your new Main Deco.

3. Switch Main Deco from E4 to M4 following steps in this document: Changing the Main Unit for your Mesh Network

4. When you see M4 as Main Deco in Deco app, you can unplug E4 that were Main Deco from ISP router.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:swapping Deco E4 main for M4
2022-07-04 13:44:05

@Alexandre. 

Thanks for this. I don't seem to have had the problems others have reported, and so far the two sets are working perfectly following your guidance and the guide in the link. There was a slight problem with the satellite unit but upgrading the firmware sorted it.

Thanks again

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 428

Replies: 2

Related Articles