Unable to attach to TP-link

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-27 13:25:13 - last edited 2022-08-30 14:22:51
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 5.5.6

Team,

Just finished installing a new software controller via a Docker container.

All devices are adopted and in the connected state.

However, I can not attach the controller to the TP-link cloud - it comes back saying "Failed to get response from server".

Tried with different passwords and switched to the famous Google-8.8.8.8 DNS-server; all ending with the same response.

What could be wrong?

Any suggestions to fix this?

With warm regards - Will

*** making it run like clockwork ***
Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Unable to attach to TP-link-Solution
2022-08-30 13:05:19 - last edited 2022-08-30 14:22:51

@ITV that's a known problem.  I can't post the link, but you should be able to google the rest of it from this

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re:Unable to attach to TP-link
2022-08-28 02:38:07

@ITV 

How did you set up the IP routing in your container--mine is bridged to docker host?  Basically does your docker container have external routed internet access because if it doesn't, you'd get that kind of message.

Options
2022-08-28 20:35:39 - last edited 2022-08-28 20:52:40

d0ugmac1 wrote

@ITV 

How did you set up the IP routing in your container--mine is bridged to docker host?  Basically does your docker container have external routed internet access because if it doesn't, you'd get that kind of message.

Thank you for your quick response.

See attached images:

• There is a Docker mac-vlan network involved called itv_lan. This has 192.168.139.240 as a default gateway. And 192.168.139.235 as DNS server.
  • I have added the same DNS server to the file /etc/default/docker.
  • Tried with and without mapping TCP-ports (usually a macvlan network ignores these mappings and just uses the one defined within the container).
  • Also tried with and without promiscous mode on the interface
  • The Docker host is on IP 192.168.139.235 and runs pihole as DNS server (on bare metal!). This is working as expected.
  • Both Docker host and Omada are within the same subnet and have the same gateway configured. This network is un-tagged.
  • The Adguard container is running on the same host but with a different mac-vlan (i.e. thuis_itv_lan tagged with 99) and default gateway 192.168.9.222. This is working as expected.
  • The subnets are 192.168.139.0/24 (un-tagged) and 192.168.9.0/24 (tagged with vlan 99) respectively.

Any suggestions on what could be wrong? And what could be done about this?

With warm regards - Will

=====

Options
2022-08-29 10:37:42

@ITV 

Just in case, try move the controller ( Docker ) MAC to another VLAN and see what will happen.

Options
2022-08-29 11:38:07

@ITV 

Any significance to Omada being in Healthy status but the other two containers are Running?

Create a test container attached to the host network and see if you can connect that instance to the cloud.

Options
2022-08-29 21:09:00

d0ugmac1 wrote

@ITV 

Any significance to Omada being in Healthy status but the other two containers are Running?

Create a test container attached to the host network and see if you can connect that instance to the cloud.

@d0ugmac1 

The Healthy status seems to be related to some health check inside the container:

Just tried the mac-vlan approach on a different Docker host. This time it works as expected.

I now have to figure out why it doesn't work on the Docker-production-host.

Also because ufw is turned off.

Suggestions?

Cheers - Will

Options
2022-08-30 11:49:06 - last edited 2022-08-30 11:50:06

Meanwhile I found out that the container can not reach the internal DNS server.

This internal DNS server is running on the same host as the Omada container.

However it runs against the OS - not as a container.

If I change the DNS config of the Omada container and point it to an external DNS-server, it works as expected.

Likewise if moving the Omada container to a different Dock host while maintaining the original DNS server.

I also tried ufw-docker and added the IP-address of the DNS-server to /etc/docker/daemon.json => no results.

The output of cat /etc/resolv.conf is:

search itv.lan DOMAINS
nameserver 127.0.0.11
options ndots:0

I'm running out of options here - any suggestions are welcome... :-)

Options
Re:Unable to attach to TP-link-Solution
2022-08-30 13:05:19 - last edited 2022-08-30 14:22:51

@ITV that's a known problem.  I can't post the link, but you should be able to google the rest of it from this

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-08-30 14:33:10

@d0ugmac1 

Thank you - that indeed works as expected.

I have started the DNS-server app on the Synology and activated it as DNS-forwarder to Pihole... laugh

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 491

Replies: 8

Related Articles