Security of Deco XE75 series

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-12-09 01:08:11
Tags: #Security
Model: Deco XE75 Pro  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

The unstoppable remote management of the Deco series has been discussed and shutdown in numerous threads, but I'm going to pile on anyway.

My problem is this lousy security decision was completely unknown to me when I shelled out my $300+ dollars for the kit. It wasn't in the Amazon description or anywhere on the page. It wasn't on the box.  It's not clear on the app page for the Deco app in the App Store.

Nothing tells you that the app isn't just for local connection, but works through the web.  Yes the services subscription is mentioned, but everything indicates the web components are OPTIONAL.  Only after set up do you realize that cloud is required.  There is simply no pre-sales information that I can find that says something as dangerous as remote management cannot be disabled.

The problem is simple - it forces you to trust the company.  A breach of TP-Link gets a bad actor access to your network.  A failure of TP-Link internal controls, leaves your network open to the whims of their employees.

Before I return the kit for refund, I thought I'd ask here... is there was something I'm missing?

Here's what I see:

1) Website login and management log in are the same.  Nobody remotely concerned about network security would choose that.

2) They talk about the AES encryption of the data in transit, but that still forces you to trust their security and controls.  LastPass anyone?

3) They don't even offer 2-Factor authentication.  Seriously? Let me lock the door and leave a key attached, in plain sight.

4) Forum posts say they were considering 2FA in 2021, a year later and still nothing?  Clearly a priority.

I've always been pleased with tp-Link switches so this is a shame.  I don't understand the blind attraction of the "Cloud Services" bandwagon.  The WiFi performance is fantastic, but it's not worth the risk.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Security of Deco XE75 series
2022-12-09 16:47:35

@Jeff2022 Agree 100%

Options

Information

Helpful: 4

Views: 1102

Replies: 1

Tags

Security