Deco chooses wireless instead of wired ethernet

2023-02-16 15:02:49 - last edited 2023-07-17 20:20:50
Model: Deco M5   Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.5.6

I'm losing my F'in MIND here. I have 5 Deco's (mix of m5 and 1 m9 main deco). There is always 1 deco that chooses to work wireless instead of wired. Solution? Pull of power cable and reconnect. But the problem is, then an other deco does that. It's a cat and mouse game and i'm tired of it.

How can i fix this? They are all wired connected. 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco chooses wireless instead of wired ethernet-Solution
2023-07-17 20:11:51 - last edited 2023-07-17 20:20:50

My solution for my problems.

I sold all of my TP-link equipment. Bought Fritzbox Wifi 6 extenders. Works like a charm. Never TP-link again.

Recommended Solution
Options
12 Reply
Re:Deco chooses wireless instead of wired ethernet
2023-02-16 16:20:28 - last edited 2023-02-16 17:17:47

@Jesus88 

Can you share network diagram or just describe how they all wired? There must be switch, possibly more than one. I may have an idea of what is wrong, as there were two similar cases I know about and helped to troubleshoot. 

Just want to be sure it is similar case and not something else. 

Options
2023-07-14 12:46:41

@Alexandre. 

I have the same issue. 

I have Three M9 v2. 

1st: main, directly connected to Router 

2nd: kitchen, connected via wifi 

3rd: office, connects via ethernet (main router - - > switch - - > m9). This device instead chooses5to connect to kitchen via wifi. 

Options
2023-07-14 13:32:00

@Wagster 

Your case is different and simpler. You have single Satellite Deco that is connected with Ethernet cable but chooses to use WiFi for backhaul instead. The following TP-Link FAQ would be a good start: General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

Options
2023-07-17 17:20:19

@Alexandre. 

i have the exact same problem!

here's my network diagram, seems like the main deco is connecting to 1 of the nodes wirelessly and that node is distributing network via the ethernet backhaul. but i actually have all of the decos connected to the switch!

why isn't the main deco distributing network but a node?

switch: tp-link tl-sg1016

Options
2023-07-17 19:56:16

@sTiCkY 

Would you please also share "Show List" screen from the app, example:

Options
Re:Deco chooses wireless instead of wired ethernet-Solution
2023-07-17 20:11:51 - last edited 2023-07-17 20:20:50

My solution for my problems.

I sold all of my TP-link equipment. Bought Fritzbox Wifi 6 extenders. Works like a charm. Never TP-link again.

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-07-18 00:58:50
Options
2023-07-18 13:20:08 - last edited 2023-07-18 14:54:19

@sTiCkY 

This is what you have:

Your Satellite Decos can communicate with each other over Ethernet links, meaning their Ethernet cables are good and switch supports Deco backhaul protocol.

Your Satellite Decos can't communicate with Main Deco. So they elect one of Satellites to create WiFi backhaul link to Main Deco, and the rest passes traffic through switch to that Satellite Deco to Main Deco. As a result, all your Satellites are reported in Deco app as connected to one with WiFi link to Main Deco.

If you power off Kitchen Deco and there is another Satellite Deco in close proximity to Main, that another Satellite Deco will switch to WiFi backhaul.

If Satellite Deco can talk to Main Deco over Ethernet, you'll see it reported in Deco app as connected to Main Deco.

What you have usually means there is an issue with Ethernet link between the switch and Main Deco. Maybe bad cable, maybe it is unplugged accidentally or not plugged tightly.

I think the switch you use is unmanaged. If I am wrong and it is managed, that would complicate troubleshooting as an issue may be in switch port(s) configuration settings.

For test, power off all Satellite Deco and see if other (non-Deco) devices wired to the switch still have Internet access. Most likely, they wouldn't. If they wouldn't, you can now trace where issue is.

Options
2023-07-18 14:36:32

@Alexandre. thank you! seems like the cable is broken!

Options
2023-10-24 22:27:58

@Alexandre. 

i have the same problem and i changed the cable between switch and main but still doing the same. Any other suggestions?

Options