EAP653 disconnect/provisioning loop after loss of power

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-02 14:23:47 - last edited 2023-03-06 07:23:49
Model: EAP653  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.4 Build 20220921 Rel. 73428

Hello all,

I currently want to equip the site with EAP653 APs and have already installed them everywhere.

However, if I disconnect one of the APs from the power to connect them somewhere else or because of a power failure etc. then the EAP is in the Omada controller as offline, then as provisioning and so on.

The only way to fix this is to reset the device and set it up again.
This is simply not an option with the amount of devices used.

I ask for a timely solution, otherwise we exchange all devices for devices from other manufacturers.

Router: ER605 v1.0 1.2.1 Build 20220512 Rel.76748
Controller: OC200 1.0 1.21.7 Build 20221206 Rel.58608

This is an intolerable state of affairs.

Best regards

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:EAP653 disconnect/provisioning loop after loss of power-Solution
2023-03-06 07:22:25 - last edited 2023-03-06 07:23:49

Hello @aurevo 

Sorry for any trouble caused! The issue will be fixed in the subsequent firmware soon. Before the new firmware is released to fix the issue, you may follow this solution post for a temporary solution.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
12 Reply
Re:EAP653 disconnect/provisioning loop after loss of power
2023-03-03 09:09:40

Hello @aurevo,

Sorry for any trouble caused!

To precisely locate the issue, please tell us more details as follow:

1. How many EAP653s do you have? How did you connect them?

2. Please provide your Network layout. (You can draw a diagram of Network Topology simply if you don't mind.)

3. How is the EAP powered?

By using the POE switch or using the POE power adapter, and what is the distance from the POE switch/ adapter to the EAP device?

4. If you disconnect one of the APs from the power and do not connect them somewhere else, still connect it to the current cable/place, is the issue reproduced?

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2023-03-03 10:46:45

@Hank21 

Hi Hank, thanks for you quick response.

Aktually I have 6x EAP653, 4 connected and planning to buy a lot more. So they have to be stable and without problems.

Each AP is connected via cable on a TL-PoE150S.

ER605 -> 1 or more TP-Link switches without PoE -> TL-PoE150S -> EAP653

This is similar to all installations.

The distance is actually for testing purposes maximum 20m. 

Tested with different cables from 0,5m to 20m.

4. If I disconnect ethernet, the device is powered off and directly goes to the loop.

Options
2023-03-04 08:24:42 - last edited 2023-03-04 08:25:26

Hi @aurevo 

It looks like EAP653 Mesh (which is auto-enabled) made some conflict with the controller. Please help me check the 5Ghz channels that your EAP653 are using, are they DFS channels like 120,124, or 128?

If that is the thing, a simple temporary solution:

On Omada Controller Devices list, choose the loop adopting issue EAP and hit Forget;

The EAP Status will turn to "Managed by other" on the Controller;

Wait 10 mintues, then adopt this EAP again. 

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2023-03-04 13:03:08

@Hank21 

1. 124 / 5620MHz

2. 116 / 5580MHz

3. 128 / 5640MHz

4. 128 / 5640MHz

What does temporary solution means? Is the error fixed or will it come up again?

And what is the permanent solution for this error?

Options
2023-03-05 14:03:38

@Hank21 

Hank21 wrote

Hi @aurevo 

It looks like EAP653 Mesh (which is auto-enabled) made some conflict with the controller. Please help me check the 5Ghz channels that your EAP653 are using, are they DFS channels like 120,124, or 128?

If that is the thing, a simple temporary solution:

On Omada Controller Devices list, choose the loop adopting issue EAP and hit Forget;

The EAP Status will turn to "Managed by other" on the Controller;

Wait 10 mintues, then adopt this EAP again. 

This time I disconnected power and tried your solution.

When provisioning I hit Forget and got an error message similar to "AP removed, but controller could not reset it, manual reset is necessary for adopting it again."

So I hat to reset it and to set up again.

That was the exactly same situation as before.

And this is no solution I can use for 20 or more APs, which hang under the ceiling or roofs.

There is no easy possibility to reset and that also is no resolution.

Options
2023-03-06 04:14:00

Hi  @aurevo 

You don't have to reset the EAP manually, even though it shows the controller cannot reset it. 

Just hit "Forget" on the controller and ignore the error message. Wait 10 minutes the AP will turn to "Managed by others" status on the Controller. Then you can re-adopt it. 

Options
Re:EAP653 disconnect/provisioning loop after loss of power-Solution
2023-03-06 07:22:25 - last edited 2023-03-06 07:23:49

Hello @aurevo 

Sorry for any trouble caused! The issue will be fixed in the subsequent firmware soon. Before the new firmware is released to fix the issue, you may follow this solution post for a temporary solution.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
2023-08-07 20:42:45 - last edited 2023-08-07 20:44:49

@aurevo 

I agree this is an unacceptable situation. 

I set up a new set of TP-Link kit including controller, Firewall, Switch and 3 EAP610 Mesh.

Just like user aurevo experienced, I set up the whole thing and it was working well.  Next day I powered off on EAP for 10 minutes and it wouldn't reconnect. I installed the Beta firmware fix, all to do with Radar channels.   Seemed to work OK so I did a full reset on all kit, started again.   All fine for 2 days then I tried a power cycle and again it wouldn't reconnect.  I went through multiple attempts to readopt, forget, wait.   Just ridiculous.

I suspect the trouble started when I first unboxed the kit last week.  I let the controller adopt everything then it prompted for Firmware updates, which is good practice, so I did that.   Maybe if I hadn't "upgraded" it might have been OK.   

What I don't understand is how TP-Link can leave disasterous firmware out there to be installed and prompting to install it.  Why not take this version down for now until there is a fix?

This controller stuff is floored and untested.   The obsession with the controller is the only way to manage it after its adoption means there is no way for me to find out what's wrong.  If it was still possible to go to the EAP's admin page, even to look at settings, that would help.

Sad really because I've used TP-Link kit for many years.  Each individual piece has been reliable.  Now with the controller in the picture it all breaks.

The EAP610 has a really annoying feature which shows when the EAP is not connected.  It flashes the only LED - 5 seconds on, half a second off, 5 seconds on etc.   This means I find myself staring at the EAP thinking it might be working but then not.  Why not flash in the true sense of the word.  

In a couple of days I'm returning the whole lot for a full refund.

If I hear back a proper offer of help from TP-Link I will continue to work on the issue.

Options
2023-08-20 18:24:56

Hello @Fae,

is there also a firmware for EAP225 v5.0 indoor to fix the issue? I could not find it.
I ask because I have the same problem with two EAP225 v5.0 indoor https://www.tp-link.com/uk/business-networking/ceiling-mount-ap/eap225/
One is wired and the other one connects wireless. Everything works as a charm but after a reboot or power loss, it just shows as "Disconnected" and won't connect unless I forget it, then factory reset it and re-adopt it.

I have an OC200 running the latest version 5.9.32

EAP225 v5.0 also latest version 1.1.3

These are my site settings.

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards

Options
2023-08-21 09:28:49

Hello @jruk,

May I know the firmware version of your EAP610?

Did the EAP610 fall into adoption loop (loop in adopting-> configuring-> heartbeat missed-> disconnected) or stuck in "Disconnected" state after you do a physical reboot?

Did this issue happen when the EAPs were in the DFS Channel (120, 124, or 128)?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1403

Replies: 12

Related Articles