POE Configuration - Cat6 Cable Pinout

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-07 11:06:21

Project:  Install security cameras throughout the house, alarms, etc.  In addition, all devices that are plugged into wall outlets I want to now power with the switch.

Internet: T-Mobile

Router:  Deco Mesh (Not Remembering model at moment)

Security System Installed:  SimpliSafe Cameras, DoorBell with camera, Motion Sensors, etc.

Testing so Far:

I have tried configuring / wiring Cat6 cable in various pinouts.  Currently using the T-568A Pinout.  There is nothing wrong with the Cat6 cable, tester proves wiring is 100% correct.  In addition, my laptop when connected to the cable functions properly using hardwire.

This is where my problems begin.

I have an indoor camera that utilizes an adapter with a USB Micro B connector.  Power is supplied at 5.0v, with around 1Amp. The cable has 4 wires (White-Black-Red-Green).  These 4 wires are connected to RJ45 connector using pins 4, 5, 7 and 8.

I connect a patch cable from the switch to a wall plate connector.  Then I connect the camera to the wall plate.  No matter the configuration of the 4 wires on the camera, I am not able to get it to power on.  I believe the switch is configured properly for the POE.

Note:  The indoor camera is NOT designated as POE capable, but all I want to do is supply power the the camera, and let the internals of the camera take over in the security system base station.

Help in any form greatly appreciated.

Options
5 Reply
Re:POE Configuration - Cat6 Cable Pinout
2023-08-08 07:03:21

@USAF-Retired 

what tplink product involved in this?

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options
2023-08-09 18:22:48

@USAF-Retired The switch I purchased is the TL-SG3428MP..

Options
2023-08-15 05:50:39

Hi @USAF-Retired 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

USAF-Retired wrote

I have an indoor camera that utilizes an adapter with a USB Micro B connector.  Power is supplied at 5.0v, with around 1Amp. The cable has 4 wires (White-Black-Red-Green).  These 4 wires are connected to RJ45 connector using pins 4, 5, 7 and 8.

I connect a patch cable from the switch to a wall plate connector.  Then I connect the camera to the wall plate.  No matter the configuration of the 4 wires on the camera, I am not able to get it to power on.  I believe the switch is configured properly for the POE.

Note:  The indoor camera is NOT designated as POE capable, but all I want to do is supply power the the camera, and let the internals of the camera take over in the security system base station.

Help in any form greatly appreciated.

You cannot power a non-PoE supported device regardless of the cables. It's not a cable issue. If the device is not PoE compatible, then it does not have the controller inside it to modulate the power from the cable.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-08-19 00:42:52

@USAF-Retired 

I was afraid that was going to be the answer, but.....

Would it be more appropriate to get a POE Injector, plug it into regular household power, then have the network cable from my TP-Link 24 port switch, connect to the injector input port, then from the output port of the injector to the Non-POE device?

I was obviously hoping to get away from injectors, but I have tons of attic space to place some 120v outlets to power some multi-port injectors.

Would this be feasible?

Options
2023-10-24 07:24:22

@USAF-Retired It seems like you've encountered an issue with providing power to your indoor camera via an RJ45 connector. Despite using the correct Cat6 cable and proper wiring, the camera doesn't power on. The camera isn't designed for Power over Ethernet (PoE), but you want to supply power to it. It's possible that the camera's wiring configuration or the switch's PoE settings need adjustment. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 628

Replies: 5

Related Articles