Can I have two routers but only one wifi network?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-10 19:57:41 - last edited 2023-08-11 09:51:47

I'm a UK user with BT fibre. The wifi from that router doesn't reach to the lounge, so I ran a Cat6 ethernet cable from the BT router to the lounge. 
I then bought a TP link AC1200 because the diagram suggested that 'Access Point Mode' would be what I need, in order to set up a new wifi outlet in the lounge (aswell as being able to ethernet into the back of my smart TV). 
It works, except now I have two wifi networks - one for the the BT system at one end of the house, and one for the TP LInk system in the lounge. When I walk between them, I have to manually select the strongest one on my iPhone. 
Is it possible to set up the AC1200 (or buy a different router) that enables me to have just one wifi network, and let my phone automatically connect to whichever gives the strongest signal? 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Can I have two routers but only one wifi network? -Solution
2023-08-10 21:22:35 - last edited 2023-08-11 09:51:47

@jdbwerew 

All you need to do is change the AC1200 wireless network to the same SSID and password that your BT system uses. The switching between the two routers on the iPhone may not be as smooth as a mesh network, but should work when the signal strength drops sufficiently.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Can I have two routers but only one wifi network? -Solution
2023-08-10 21:22:35 - last edited 2023-08-11 09:51:47

@jdbwerew 

All you need to do is change the AC1200 wireless network to the same SSID and password that your BT system uses. The switching between the two routers on the iPhone may not be as smooth as a mesh network, but should work when the signal strength drops sufficiently.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Can I have two routers but only one wifi network?
2023-08-11 06:45:07

@jra11500 thanks, I'll try that. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 349

Replies: 2

Related Articles